2.4.3.25 not starting

I have 2.4.3.25 installed on win 8.1 on a Quantum Access PC stick and it will not start. If I reinstall 2.4.3.22, it starts and works well. Would be interested to hear if anyone else finds similar behavior.

Thanks!
Gabe

What errors are you getting? Screen captures? Have you tried some type of compatibility mode?

Thanks for the reply.

It wonā€™t even start. The pointer changes to the busy symbol, but after a few seconds it stops and SGP never starts.

Iā€™d uninstall and reinstall it. Do you know how to try compatibility modes? I didnā€™t think there were any issues with Win8 though.

I tried different compatibility modes and not luck on getting it to run. Very strange. I can go back to 2.4.3.22 and it runs perfectly fine. Perhaps I can try an intermediate version.

Iā€™ve verified that 2.4.3.23 and 2.4.3.24-beta starts up fine. It appears that 2.4.3.25 is the first version that does not work.

2.4.3.25 is the first version to require ASCOM 6.2. Do you have that installed properly?

I have v 6.2.0.2774 installed currently.

1 Like

Iā€™m out of ideas. Iā€™m still on .24, I would stick with that and see what happens when v2.5 is released.

Hi Guys,
This wonā€™t help but Iā€™ve run into the same problem with a few versions of the software. I am running Win 8.1 on a dell 64 bit desktop. My salvation has been to load up a more recent version of SGPro, which thankfully comes out every week or so.
The problem may be access rights thru Win 8.1, but this one Iā€™ve not figured out yet.
Mark

1 Like

Good to know Mark, definitely a weird one. Does it help to do things like run it in adminstrator mode? Different compatibility modes?

Sorry Mads, youā€™re speaking foreign language to me. When doing an initial install I execute that as administrator. Iā€™m not aware of how to ā€œrunā€ in admin mode, nor with different compatibilities.
When the problem occurs (and thankfully it hasnā€™t for a few recent versions), the software has usually properly run at first. Then it quits.
Now, besides swinging a dead cat over my head, I am real deliberate about starting and stopping the software. And as mentioned, the last few versions have behaved themselves.
Itā€™s interesting to me that Gabe is also running Win 8.1, even though his hardware is substantially different.
Mark

1 Like

Yea, I wonder if its something specific with W8.1ā€¦ Iā€™m running Win7 64-bit and I think alot of people are running W10.

Itā€™s cloudy so I went ahead and installed ascom 6.2 and then sgp 2.4.3.25 on win10/64 and it started ok for me. So it did work for me in win10/64. I havenā€™t used it but it did start fine.

Frank

1 Like

The problem appears as a .NET error in Windows 8.1. I am running win 8.1 and .NET 4.5 under Oracle VMBox virtual environment, but all other sw seems to work fine. May force me to windows 10ā€¦

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 1/15/2016 7:25:27 AM
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: AstroVM
Description:
Application: Sequence Generator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
Stack:
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Object ByRef, System.Object ByRef)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(System.String, Boolean)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(System.Configuration.SettingsContext, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(System.Configuration.SettingsProvider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.SetPropertyValueByName(System.String, System.Object)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.set_Item(System.String, System.Object)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.set_Item(System.String, System.Object)
at l.a(System.String[])

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
AstroVM

Application: Sequence Generator.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
Stack:
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Object ByRef, System.Object ByRef)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(System.String, Boolean)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(System.Configuration.SettingsContext, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(System.Configuration.SettingsProvider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.SetPropertyValueByName(System.String, System.Object)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.set_Item(System.String, System.Object)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.set_Item(System.String, System.Object)
at l.a(System.String[])

I just confirmed that the issue is unique o Windows 8.1. I just created another VM under Oracle VirtualBox, with the same settings, using Windows 10 Home edition and it works fine in that environment.

Any chance that there is a solution for this?
After not having trouble with the last several versions, I just loaded v2.5.0.2 after running v2.5.0.1 successfully.
Version '02 ran fine the first time I fired it up. After rebooting the computer and trying version '02 a second time, I found it would not start.
I re-installed version '01 a couple of times and version '02 a couple of times. In each case version '01 ran and version ā€˜02 did not.
Short of upgrading to MSā€™ heavy handed offering of Win10, it looks like Iā€™ll be waiting for version '03 to show up.

Mark

Sorry Mark,

We donā€™t have any leads on this. Sometimes settings can be corrupted and create problems in which case you can start SGPro from the command like by navigating to the install directory and typing:

"Sequence Generator.exe" /reset

It might be helpful if SGPro is producing partial logs during the startup to see where it hung. The dates are time stamped so you should pretty easily be able to determine if it belongs to your defunct startup.

Thanks for the suggestion Ken.
Sorry, but following your suggestions did not improve the situation.
There are no log files generated when the software refuses to start.

Here is the log from when I first installed 2.5.0.2 and took it for a spin around 11:31 this morning.
After that initial time this version doesnā€™t start and no logs are generated.
Mark

sg_logfile_20160118113023.txt (21.4 KB)

I had hoped that the upgrading from Win 8.1 to 10 on the OBS computer would solve the ā€œno startā€ problem.
Unfortunately no luck there. Version 2.5.0.2 still does not start (not since its first and only run 3 days ago), and Iā€™m continuing to use 2.5.0.1.
Iā€™m hoping for a quick release of 2.5.0.3.

Mark