2.5.0.x beta causing unwanted PHD2 recalibration

Hi Guys,

This happened twice in the last few sessions. SGP is telling PHD2 to recalibrate even though I have not selected the option to recalibrate when target changes:

In the PHD2 log I see for example:

PHD2_DebugLog_2016-01-26_184119.txt:18:49:32.462 00.100 5156 evsrv: cli 046B00D0 request: {“method”:“guide”,“params”:[{“pixels”:0.8,“time”:10,“timeout”:300},true],“id”:1003}

with the highlighted “true” being the parameter to force recalibration.

SGP Log: http://adgsoftware.com/misc/sg_logfile_20160126183716.txt

That incident was with 2.5.0.3. It happened to me again tonight with 2.5.0.6. I had a couple other sessions in between where it did not happen. Let me know if you want the log from the second incident.

Andy

Can you send the sgf so we can take a look inside the guts of it?

here you go: http://adgsoftware.com/misc/ngc7331-forcedcal.sgf

Actually… never mind. It is just chance you are seeing this now? Not sure, but recovery has always worked this way. The original request to guide was:

[1/26/2016 6:48:36 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] {“method”: “guide”, “params”: [{“pixels”: 0.8, “time”: 10, “timeout”: 300}, false ], “id”: 1003}

Then the guider failed to settle (almost immediately):

[1/26/2016 6:48:36 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] PHD2: Attempting to start guiding, waiting for PHD2 settle done message…
[1/26/2016 6:48:38 PM] [DEBUG] [PHD2 Listener Thread] PHD2: Settle done received: 1
[1/26/2016 6:48:38 PM] [DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] PHD2 settle failed!

Then it has always been in recovery (hard coded to force recalibration regardless of any user settings). This is because we have limited data to work with. We don’t know why it failed, just that it did… so we force recal as the safest recourse.

Recovery guide command…

[1/26/2016 6:49:32 PM] [DEBUG] [Recovery Sequence Thread] {“method”: “guide”, “params”: [{“pixels”: 0.8, “time”: 10, “timeout”: 300}, true ], “id”: 1003}

I’m getting a sense of deja-vu now, I feel like we have had this conversation before.

I have a permanent setup and I calibrate once carefully and basically never need to recalibrate. If something funky is going on, bad enough to cause guiding to fail to settle then it is surely a bad idea to recalibrate at that time, never mind the fact that I told sgp not to recalibrate. I can’t imagine a case where failure to settle would be “cured” by forcing recalibration.

You didn’t tell it not to re-calibrate, you told it not to force it on target change (nothing to do with your situation).

We’ll think about it, but I have to get the hangs under control and don’t have any cycles to devote to it right now.

Maybe… it might be carryover from the original PHD implementation where we had no feedback if flipping cal data failed. If it did, failing to settle was always the failure, so recalibrating would fix it.

fair enough. bad assumption on my part

understood. yes, the hangs are more important.

Same issue as Andy here. I have chosen to not re-calibrate in PHD2. But many times over the past months SGP forces a re-calibration in recovery mode. This seems to me to be counter productive.
I vote for eliminating this forced re-calibration. A waste of time and not likely to be as good as the one I did at an optimum mount position.

1 Like

Again, there is no choice to do this or not… it just “is” (SGPro is not ignoring your setting choice). It is a protective measure because we are unsure of what’s going on. @Jared and I will discuss this request, consider input here, and decide what to do…