I just finished analyzing the autofocus packs that I took with 126.96.36.199 under some clouds using 188.8.131.52. Discovered some things that should be very helpful regardless of the seeing conditions.
I am assuming the new autofocus routine uses the exact same code as the Star button does, since I was using it with 184.108.40.206 to analyze the AFpacks I took with 220.127.116.11.
Target was a very star poor area. Imaging 8300M on RC12. Min star size set to 4 for all packs.
- new AF routine has a hard time distinguishing real stars from noise, even with the min star size set to 4, in the special case of 0 star images.
- when there are real stars in the image and no donuts, star detection was excellent.
The first 2 images in the 1st AF pack were quite illuminating. Both were images of the inside of my dome so there were 0 stars in either one. In the directory for AF pack #1 are 2 PNG images showing my screen with the Star turned on.
Amazingly, the first image (#0) found 300 stars, all of size between 20x20 to 22x22 with average intensity of about 1.5 standard deviations from the whole image mean.
And equally interesting is the next image, found 111 stars, most with a size of 4x4 and a few 5x5 and 6x6. None larger. All with a mean close to 2 standard deviations.
Seems to me, and please forgive me if I am grossly over simplifying this, but it should be fairly easy to never find stars that are actually noise. I would only look at possible real stars if their mean intensity is at least 3 standard deviations from image mean. When I looked at the final (best focus) image of the 2nd focus pack, it had good focus and all 94 identified stars were really stars, and the dimmest one I found was 2.1 standard devs. Almost all the rest were at least 4x or much higher.
Adopting this approach should completely eliminate any need for a minimum star size slider. The program can just find that optimum size.
For the several images I looked at that were actually sky, star detection was excellent. There were many somewhat fuzzy small stars, clearly bigger than 4 pixels that were not identified as stars. Not sure if that is a problem or not.
Overall, AF routine definitely getting much better. I am anxious to get to testing the donut phase, which awaits another collimation attempt.