3.1.0.213 Beta - Restart Bug

Hello Ken & Jared,

I am running beta v3.1.0.213 and have a problem with the Wait to Restart on Safe Condition functionality. I started a sequence and it ran fine. Conditions became Unsafe and it shut down - perfect. It then sat in the ‘wait to restart on safe condition’ state - great. I clicked to Pause Sequence and the Abort pop up appeared, I clicked Abort. The Sequence then appeared to try and start running, the Dome opened, the camera started cooling and the mount slewed to the target. This is definitely not correct behaviour! I have seen and reported this naughty behaviour with earlier versions, but it remains unfixed. I hope that you will be able to address this issue soon.

The log file is here: Dropbox - File Deleted

Thanks,

Gav.

Can you duplicate this fairly easily? I haven’t seen this behavior and I’ve been trying to duplicate it for a while.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,

Thanks for your swift reply. Yes, it happens every time, so very easily repeatable. Your lack of success to do so would explain the lack of a fix!

The order of events to repeat the problem is:

Connect all equipment
Start a Sequence
Unsafe Condition triggers Shutdown
Sequence sitting in Wait to Restart on Safe state
Click the Pause Sequence button
The chaos starts!

Please do let me know if you can repeat the problem. If you can’t, the issue must be with my setup (though I’m sceptical of that!). It just feels as though a status flag is set incorrectly while in the Wait for Safe state.

I look forward to hearing what you discover.

Thanks,

Gav.

Hm, yes, obviously this is a big issue and makes the restart functionality annoying at best. I’ve had multiple nights of imaging where I’ve aborted the sequence when things are unsafe. However my observatory isn’t being controlled by SGP but the scope and things obviously are. I’ll try and do some more tests and see if I can replicate this. If you can attach a sequence that may help get the settings right.

Thanks,
Jared

It feels as though the Pause Sequence button has become a Start Sequence button…! Yes, very annoying as everything works well, the Restart on Safe functionality is fabulous, but I’m scuppered as the last thing I want to risk is opening up the dome when it has all shutdown because it’s raining!!!

I’ve just had a play with using simulators and my AAG Cloudwatcher (I couldn’t see how to control the ASCOM safety simulator and it was just stuck on Unsafe!) with a test sequence and I can replicate the issue immediately by following the order of events listed earlier.

Various files (the real sequence, the test sequence and the log file from the test sequence failure) are here: Dropbox - File Deleted

Let me know how you get on with it.

Thanks,

Gav.

Yes, that does seem to duplicate it rather easily. I’ve also addressed the issue. I need to look into why the tests I was running did not duplicate this as it seems they should have. There are 2 “holding areas” for unsafe and one was not correctly handling the abort but it also had some other logic around the auto guider that may have correctly aborted under the right conditions. So I’m guessing that’s why I wasn’t seeing the issue as they both should have resulted in aborting without slewing.

Anyways, I’ve addressed the issue so now when things abort this should no longer happen. Thanks for the sequence! It helped a lot!

Jared

Excellent, another pesky bug squished! I look forward to the update.

Thanks,
Gav.

Hello Jared & Ken,

Just to send you a HUGE thank you for fixing this bug in the new Beta release, v.3.1.0.226:
“Fix: Issue where aborting sequence after unsafe would restart sequence”.

I can confirm that the fix has indeed fixed it, having just given it a real world test with clouds aborting a sequence for real and then clicking Pause Sequence while it was waiting to restart. It stopped the sequence perfectly. Halleluiah, my life is now pretty much complete!!!

Thanks again,

Gav.

1 Like