3.1.0.226 Beta Platesolve2/Centering Issue

Just updated from 213 beta to 226. I’m not sure if it"s related to 226, but I don’t think I’ve had this issue before. I’ve been using this sequence successfully for this target for two weeks. The sequence starts a target IC63 @ 0228 and seems to correctly slew to the target coordinates and starts centering. The first two centering iterations and platesolves are getting it closer to the minimum required error. However, on the third centering try (09/02/19 02:29:52.090), it seems to accept a platesolve RA 21 degrees different, with an incorrect platesolve hint and syncs to it. The next slew supposedly to the target, now slews off to the mount limit.
I will attempt to try again tonight.

I’ve attached my Dropbox link to the log and sgf file.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4mocofgfv1frqeo/AAA-pIgHp_UvenQalIRMpnQZa?dl=0

Phil Montgomery

This issue does not appear to be beta related. You will probably want to get your mount logs out (if you have them) and look what it was doing around that time. The reason SGPro accepts the solve with RA 21 is because your mount reported that as its position. The solve and your mount’s position match and the solve reports the scale as identical to those before it. This all seems to line up with suggesting your mount was actually pointing 2 hours away from where it should have been. As to why… you’d want to check this time in your mount logs:

[09/02/19 02:29:19.116][DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Telescope: Slewing to JNOW RA: 1.02170624103234 Dec: 61.0399805859186 [09/02/19 02:29:37.650][DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] Scope reports it is done with synchronous slew, verifying...

Your scope went off slewing for 18 seconds here… way too long for a minor correction.

Then… when SGPro attempts to correct this state, it is told that the mount can no longer slew because you are outside the safety limits:

[09/02/19 02:29:56.781][DEBUG] [Telescope Thread] ASCOM Telescope: Error in Slew : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.GeminiTelescope.Telescope SlewToCoordinates System.Exception: Slew to outside of safety limits

Seems like this might be a Gemini issue. Changed anything there recently?

Ken,

Thank you for such a quick response. I wouldn’t have thought to see how long the slew took. As close as the mount was to the target, the correction slew should have taken a couple of seconds. i’ll look at the ascom and enable mount logs. -Nothing else changed. not software or hardware…

Phil

Just an update to say no more problems. It’s been three perfect nights since the one time centering problem, imaging two targets a night and spot on slewing and centering. Don’t know what the problem was, but 226 Beta has been flawless for my imaging.

Thanks,
Phil