3.1.0.410 won't launch upon upgrade

Hi folks, I updated to 3.1.0.410 and ever since SGP won’t lunch. I’ve followed all I could find on this and other help forums to no avail for the past 4 hours. Finally ended up uninstalling, removing all related files, doing all the customary restarts, etc. then reinstalling and still no dice.

I’m on the latest edition of Win 10 Enterprise. Never had another issue I couldn’t figure out with SGP on my own before - could really use some help now :slight_smile:

OK, here’s what has worked: I’ve updated ASCOM to 6.4.1.2695. I think it was the culprit.

Strangely, SGP picked up my retail license even through I had it completely removed (or so I thought?).

Anyway, sorry to raise false alarm, looks like it might’ve been ASCOM platform related issue as that’s the only thing that I changed.

hmm… SGPro is supposed to detect this and give a warning… will have to check on this.

Could you tell me what was happening when you did attempt to launch. Did you see nothing at all or maybe the SGPro splash screen? It will help me determine how this warning is broken.

Hi Ken - so a couple of things that may be of help:

• Recently I’ve updated from Win 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB to the latest Win 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC (this was necessary to get the latest .NET that 2015 LTSB does not support)

• Win 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC is a bare-bones OS and I had the latest (as of 12/13/19) updates

• After upgrade, I tested all my astro software, including SGP (I think, I might’ been on v3.0.3.151 or v3.1.0.402 still). Everything, including SGP worked.

• I then updated to the latest ASCOM 6.4SP1 (this was necessary to have the latest driver for my Optec focuser). Again - I tested all software, including SGP and all seemed to work.

• THEN I upgraded to SGP 3.1.0.410 from within SGP interface

• I believe what happened first is it showed that upgrade installed fine and I saw the splash screen, and then… nothing. This was after I clicked “finish” or “ok” upon installation confirmation - I had the “Launch SGP” checkbox checked.

• After that, clicking on SGP icon nothing pulled up, no splash screen either. Just the little spinning wheel for a brief second or so and then nothing.

• I followed other peoples suggestions here (from previous installs) and did things like removing my profile file manually, etc. then install/uninstall of SGP, then uninstall and completely deleting all files that remained manually, then reinstall. I did reboots in between all these install/uninstall sessions.

• Then on a hunch I “Repaired” ASCOM 6.4SP1 - it’s an option available when installing the platform (install / repair / uninstall).

• After that, SGP pulled up fine and I was back in business. Tried this morning again, and after running a sequence last night, all seems to work OK for now.

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks,
Alex

That’s great, thx.

The same thing happened to me - first with 3.1.0.410 and then with 3.1.0.432, which I installed after uninstalling 3.1.0.410 out of frustration. I thought it was a New Year problem. After losing an imaging session because of this, I saw Alex’s comment above and “Repaired ASCOM 6.4SP1”. The program can now open. Hopefully, SGP will now run the camera, filter wheel, and focuser.

Thanks Alex.