A good night ruined by Microsoft

On topic : On Win10, the following is working fine

SGP v 2.5.1.14
PlateSolve 2, Elbrus, or ANSVR local install. All seem fine.
Gemini.NET 1.0.62 ASCOM driver
Atik 314L+ w/ standard ASCOM drivers
PHD2 2.6.1
QHY5L II w/ standard ASCOM drivers

So there’s that.

Off topic :

I abhor the “modern” interface…it’s bubblegum crap for “the mobile world”. The good news is, it’s really not hard to get Win 10 into a very Win7-esque look, with standard settings and no 3rd party addons. You can remove “app tiles”, hide “Cortana”, and change to a “Classic” start menu all with just a few right clicks in the right places.

Once that’s done, if you’re so inclined, you can do a bit deeper digging for things like configuring network interfaces as “metered” to stop forced auto updates, or regedit the lock screen away.

I’ve got 3 Win10 machines now, including my main processing PC. 1 was a native install (new laptop) the other both upgrades, and all are fine.

Further off-topic

If you haven’t actually spent some time with it, give it a shot if you can. It’s really a pretty dang nice OS once you realize you can navigate in a manner that’s comfortable for you.

here is some tech op-ed press coverage about MS forcing these upgrades:

the prolific thing hit me as well, but only because i switched to a compute stick which had W10 preinstalled. i understand that there have been longstanding problems with fake prolific chips, etc. but the one i was using worked flawlessly for me for 5+ years. had to buy an FTDI one to replace it, which ain’t so bad since it has the NVRAM that lets the driver assign the same com port across boots.

rob

I upgraded a while back on my imaging laptop, everything works but as mentioned prolific adapters need a workaround.

I need to stay on windows 7 on my two desktops and this little app has helped, I used the standalone version and it’s removed all traces of the upgrade box;

Hope this helps someone avoid a lost night of imaging.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

I had two small issues going from Win7 to 10 on a Dell desktop. I just removed the drivers and then installed the which solved the issue. Very happy with it. I also have Win10 on an Intel 2nd generation PC Stick and its running fine and now runs my entire image session. On Win10 you can stop updates by going to the network settings and set a switch to not allow updates on limited bandwidth. That seems to stop updates.

Thanks for all the excellent responses to my original post. I have learned a lot about Windows 10 and the upgrade process just by reading everyones responses. I have now downloaded the latest drivers for my TripLite Prolific based USB to RS232 adapter and the Windows 10 drivers for the Orion SSAG. I plan to install the latest drivers on my Windows 7 Pro system and then allow Microsoft to update my observatory computer to Windows 10.

Is there anything I need to do before I upgrade to insure that I can fall back to Windows 7 Pro in the event that I encounter a significant issue with Windows 10?

Fred

I would probably get the latest Windows 7 update first before upgrading to Windows 10 to ensure smooth transition to Windows 10.

I also found a cool free software to make Windows 10 to look like Windows 7:

http://www.classicshell.net/

It works pretty well.

Peter

Hello

I’m not an expert on this matter but learnt from one who is that you should try to avoid installation from;

· KB3035583

· KB3021917

· KB2952664

In case of installation of updates always look if one of these KB-files is present.

uncheck the file

right mouse on the blue bar choose hide update

this way the update this time will not be part of the action.

But!!! it will at any time come back so look every time you install updates. Mickey Mouse will try over and over again.

Kind regards

Theo

Van: fjkeller [mailto:forums@mainsequencesoftware.com]
Verzonden: zaterdag 11 juni 2016 19:32
Aan: th.hoogerhuis@planet.nl
Onderwerp: [Main Sequence Software] [Sequence Generator] A good night ruined by Microsoft

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/user_avatar/forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/fjkeller/45/778_1.png

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/users/fjkeller fjkeller
June 11

Thanks for all the excellent responses to my original post. I have learned a lot about Windows 10 and the upgrade process just by reading everyones responses. I have now downloaded the latest drivers for my TripLite Prolific based USB to RS232 adapter and the Windows 10 drivers for the Orion SSAG. I plan to install the latest drivers on my Windows 7 Pro system and then allow Microsoft to update my observatory computer to Windows 10.

Is there anything I need to do before I upgrade to insure that I can fall back to Windows 7 Pro in the event that I encounter a significant issue with Windows 10?

Fred

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/a-good-night-ruined-by-microsoft/3681/25 Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/a-good-night-ruined-by-microsoft/3681/unsubscribe click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/my/preferences user preferences

Hello all,
Nice to know that the SSAG drivers are available for Starshoot autoguider with Win 10 now, also, it’s nice to find that someone has put in the trouble and effort to produce something that simulates the old original ‘Classic’ interface and the fact that they offer it free is to be applauded. I really couldn’t stand the tablet look of windows 10, if I want that then I’ll get a tablet thanks very much…GRRrrrrrrr

Anyway, when I got my nice new 17inch MSI gaming laptop which came preinstalled with Win 10 I tried to give it a chance and yes there were ways to get it looking reasonably close to the classic interface but the thing that really drove me to drink was that whenever I opened up any box like Win explorer, SGP etc, their boxes looked so white an endemic I felt like I was sitting in a dentist and the features to edit the individual colours of the box in front of you didn’t exist any more like you have in Win 7.

With this free downloadable interface at:

can you edit the interface / box colours cos I cant see anything on the site that says this (although I have not had a chance yet to spend a bit of time on there to maybe, hopefully find this) ???

<---- Don’t like dentist surgeries

LOLOL

Regards
Paul

I am not sure about color selection but there are options. Right click on Start button at lower left and select “Settings”. Check “Show all settings” check box. Click on “Skin” tab and there are good number of options.

Have fun.

Peter

Not sure if anyone experience this but I found if you use Stellarium Scope with Windows 10 do not keep it running very long or you’ll get a notification that you’re running low on memory. I found it takes about 2 hours then you’ll notice the system appears to be sluggish and a short time after a pop up will appear about low memory. I traced it back to Stellarium Scope, must be some type of memory leak. Once I close Stellarium Scope the system returns to normal operation.

mahaffm

Which version Stellarium Scope are you using?

Thanks,
Peter

I’m using Version 2015.12.2.327. However, I did just look and there are newer beta versions on their web site.I’ll give one of the newer version a try to see it that clears up the memory issue.

Thanks Peter for asking about which verions I was using, I didn’t think about looking for a newer version until you asked.

mahaffm

From time to time I would go to Stellarium Scope and see if there are any new updates. Hopefully the latest will resolve the memory leak issue. If you are still having problems, try contacting the Stellarium Scope developer at their web site.

I just went to Stellarium Scope web site to look for revision history and I found the following:

“Note: Release 2016.03.07 was withdrawn because there were issues with memory.”

This release was right after your previous release which may explain what you are seeing.

Peter

@topboxman, @pscammp and others, I have used
for years on all my Win 7-8-10 pcs and love it. Would not live without it. Makes these os versions look and feel EXACTLY like the old classic windows. And it’s free.
Whats not to like here? Everyone who hates the new interface should give it a try.

Orion SSAG works fine in Windows 10 IF AND ONLY IF you get the latest driver. I was an early adopter to Windows 10 and couldn’t run SSAG for a couple of months. I kept downloading drivers every week until finally I got something that worked. I’ve got a thread running here about that.

John C
Prescott Valley, AZ

Thanks a lot John: I got an old QHY5m almost identical to the Orion SS autoguider, but I cannot resolve some driver issues with Win 10. Anyway, I use a Lodestar for autoguiding, so I haven’t tried a lot to resolve the issues with Win 10. All the other astro stuff that I own, works very fine with Win 10…