A new episode of "Sequencer window display problem since 2.6.0.2"

I updated my version of SGP to the latest 2.6.0.13 yesterday. I had no problems with older version (forgot the number, but it was only about 4 months old), but when I tried the new version last night, I could not get a full window of the Sequencer panel. Just as was mentioned in the earlier email on this forum, the right side of the window was truncated so I could not see the “Run Sequence” button. I could not get it enlarged by the usual methods but finally was able to see a full sequence window if I adjusted the Windows UI to 100% from the 125% in the control panel. My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T560 running Windows 7. Running the laptop at 100% is way to small for my old eyes. Have I missed a easy fix for this problem?

Unfortunately not. We have yet to figure out how to recreate this issue, and, as such, we are unable to fix it. This problem was introduced when we added vertical resizing to the sequencer window. If you have any hints as to how to reproduce that issue, they would be helpful:

• Does this happen all the time or just sometimes?
  • What operating system are you using? W10, 8 or Vista?
  • Are there any special steps that lead up to this or does it start this way?

Thanks for the prompt reply. To your questions:
The problem happened immediately after updating the software; I had never encountered this before with the older version.
I am using Windows 7 Professional.
The problem happens all the time I use the laptop with a UI at 125% and reverts all the time I convert to 100%.
Sorry I can’t be of more help.

I’m new to SGP and installed 2.0.6.14 on a W7 64 bit Dell workstation with a Dell 3840 X 2160 32” monitor. The text size at that resolution is too small for ordinary office work such as e-mail, Word, etc. So I have my text size at a custom setting of 130%.

As has been reported, the right size of the main Sequencer dialog is truncated. But it’s more than that. In addition, the Run Sequence button and Add Event buttons are also vertically truncated (their bottoms are cut off) irrespective of whether you elongate the Sequencer window vertically downward. The buttons stay truncated.

The only remedy is to reset W7’s text size (from Control Panel/Display) to very close to 100%. You can custom set the text size to any percent you wish. The truncation of the right side and of the buttons is approximately proportional to the text size setting.

But even at e.g.106%, you will see about half of the bottom of the buttons lost and the fraction of an events completed partially cut off on the right. At larger text size percentages, the buttons won’t show at all and only part of the progress bars will show.

It wouldn’t be much of an issue except that to reset the text size to near 100% to use the SGP Sequencer, you must log off for any size change to take effect. When you’re done with SGP you have reset the text and log off/on.

There was a thread about a month ago where it was mentioned that a version of SGP was available on request without the vertically resizable Sequencer window. Is it still available?

@msl

Thx for the report.

It may seem like it, but I have a suspicion that a single fix will address all of these issues.

Anyone here have time to help with test builds? Since we have no idea how to reproduce the issue, I cannot think of any other way.

If you send me a test build, I’ll be happy to test it.

Here are some more clues. On my setup, there are no steps to reproduce - as soon as the intro flash screen clears, the Sequencer window appears with the truncations and/or missing buttons already there.

The standard “Size” command that is available from Right clicking the Sequencer window’s main top frame will transiently display horizontal and/or right corner stretch arrows but they don’t work and immediately disappear.

Also, Windows’ desktop icons have a properties context menu with several tabs. For SGP, there is a compatibility tab that has a check box for “Disable display scaling for high DPPI settings.” But, checking it doesn’t change the Sequencer window’s behavior.

This is exactly the same behavior for me. Happeneded immediately after upgrade. Just need a horizontal sizer’???

No. This is a scaling issue, not a scrolling issue.

Perhaps so. The reason I mentioned is that when I hover over the top I see a double headed vertical arrow resizer but when I hover over the sides the horizontal double arrows are missing.

Right. We went through a fair amount of effort to figure out how to hide that one from the user. SGPro is designed to allow for vertical resizing only. The horizontal aspects of the sequencer should fit within the bounds of the sequencer. So… I think it seems to present itself only on Windows 7. Not sure exactly why (or even how to make it happen).

To make it more interesting, I have two computers, both running Windows7Pro.

One is a MaxbookAir which has the 11.6" display running natively at 1366x768 pixels-the sequencer is cut off on right side. This is also a 64 bit version.

The second is a TabletKiosk Sahara 440 which has a display size of 12.1" XGA running at 1024x768 and the sequencer window is FULLY visible. This is a 32 bit version.

Unfortunately non of the other resolution settings on the Mac allow the sequencer window to expand.

I tried out 2.6.0.16 and the Main Sequencer window problems remain. Interestingly, the docking windows such as Histogram, Image History, Frame and Focus, etc. are not affected by the Control Panel/Display DPI setting. Their text and buttons are totally “immune” to the Windows’ text size setting. Their text and buttons are always the same size regardless of the setting. It’s only the Sequencer window that’s an issue.

BTW, Windows refers to the DPI sizing feature as “Make text and other items larger or smaller.” For example, it controls the size of the desktop icons not just text size. It has several radio button choices (100%, 125%, 150%) plus a slider that will set any size. But having to log out and then in again to make the changes is a big issue and something you don’t want to do all the time.

Photoshop has had numerous complaints about its UI and the size of its dockable windows from users with “4K” monitors who can barely read the text in those windows. That’s because their dockable windows are not affected by the text size settting - they are always at the smallest (100%) regardless of the text DPI setting. Their solution is an option to display everything at normal (100%) or 200%. That’s actually worse than 100% because the GUI is a grotesque jumble and unusable. In Photoshop Bridge they have the same option but it’s not too bad and is usable despite some quirks.

The SkyPro has a similar dockable windows interface and seems to work fine just like SGP’s dockable windows. In addition, some of their windows are resizable with proper scaling of buttons and text.

Right. No attempt to fix these issues has been made.

They are affected by it, but the layout controls we created for scaling handle it (unlike the sequencer).

@msl @davidwp @cardiofuse

So… this is shot in the dark. I have no idea if the change in this build will have any impact on the scaling issue reported, but if somebody able to reproduce the issue reliably were able to download and replace their “Sequence Generator.exe” file with the one in this zip folder and check if it does anything, it will, at least be one thing to check off the list. Please note that this is not an installer… the EXE should be used to replace the exe from your existing SGPro install.

No luck. I replaced the SG.exe in the Program Files (x86) folder and ran it. Same result with the truncated Sequencer. I assume you are aware that the old and new SG.exe are exactly the same size?

Locking this thread in order to consolidate. Please continue here: