Add the ASCOM Switch/Outlet Standard

Request to have the ASCOM Switch standard added to SGPro

Details: Switch Drivers

Regards,
Raoul.

I agree that this would be a nice addition. I use one of these in my observatory so that I can control power to the computer, router, imaging rig.

Fred

Right. We are way more interested in the reasons why (like @fjkeller indicated above) than just implementing the standard. How would you use it?

Hi Ken,

I would be interested in this as well, I use a Digital Logger to remotely turn on/off my equipment as well. Attached is a screen shot of what I control with my switch.

Thanks,
Mark

I think it opens up other sequence possibilities but it becomes a much larger askā€¦I have implemented device and driver myself for my own observatory controller app along with some of the logic ideas below.

• Power control over the observatory roof, along with the recently added roof panel - adds a layer of security if the obsy is inactive during the day (remote operation in mind)

• Camera power control to prevent icing / wear out due to prolonged powered periods (remote operation in mind).

• Power toggling for device resets

• Facilitates a slumber mode in which SGP is queued up to get going - but only if SGP additionally started a sequence without connecting power to everything first - maybe just weather systems to monitor the ASCOM safety output.

• Power down at end of sequence to reduce waste.

Of course the ASCOM switch methods have more than just binary controls, it also has analog ones too. All sorts of things come to mind including ambient light level, intelligent dew control etc.

The problem with asking SGP to have observatory control features is that task becomes a bottomless feature set. I would suggest ALL observatory control functions be implemented on a secondary computer that can monitor wind, clouds, humidity, temperatures, UPS devices, etc. The only thing SGP knows is that there is some kind of ā€œsafety deviceā€ that it is monitoring. If SGP sees a ā€œnot safeā€ condition it terminates the sequence. When SGP ends the sequence, it parks the scope. The external control detects the parking of the scope(s) and then does whatever is needs to do to close down the observatory; including closing the roof; turning off power switches, etc.

Letā€™s keep SGPā€™s tasks focused on its imaging functionality and not ask the guys to dive into the robotics needed to implement total remote observatory control. NASA has taken this route with several robotic telescope sites. But they spent millions of dollars and have full time staffs at those locations to make sure the robotics work.

Charlie

1 Like

I have one of these switches - works great for remote operation. I mostly use it for things that SGP would not need to control (as mentioned above - observatory management items).

However, would be useful to control my light panel (if I can also program the scope to park to a position pointing at the light panel and take some flats at the end of an imaging run).

DaveNL

I have to agree with chasmiller46 about this. SGP allows me to become incredibly productive in my imaging, but adding non-imaging features is only going to increase complexity without increasing my productivity. Maybe it would be great for a fixed observatory, but I feel the vast majority probably set up on a night-by-night basis, and this will not be an improvement. Maybe itā€™s time for a special observatory control product from the great guys at Main Sequence?

1 Like

I have been using the Digital Loggers DIN Relay for more than one year now. Unless fully automated, unmanned, robotic operation is your goal, I donā€™t see a reason for SGP to take care of that relay. Iā€™m happily using the IOS app to control this deviceā€¦ but thatā€™s meā€¦ I like to keep an eye on the whole operation, especially during the startup phase and during the slews. Then, during long exposures, I leave the system into the most capable hands of SGP.

Thank you all for the feedback.

The reason for asking is the addition is that it is an ASCOM function.
But also because I have my own powerbox which houses an ASCOM controlled relay switch but also ASCOM Focuser and Filterwheel control. This is all done via a Single Arduino board and therefor single interface to all of itā€¦ As a result using multiple computers for the different functions is not an option for me.

But I do understand the reasons why not to add this. At the moment I believe I have found a way around this.

Raoul.

I use ascom switch to power mount,camera etc. I also use it to power a light panel for flats

Using the Switch interface to control a flat panel is one of the use cases it was intended for and adding a switch interface to the flat panel control might be useful. It would,of course, be up to the user to ensure that the switch specified actually controlled the panel.

But using the Switch to manage the observatory, controlling power to the systems etc., seems to me to be out of the remit of SGP. That belongs more to a separate Observatory Control Application and not to SGP.

Related to this subject Iā€™d like to ask a question that would help in my particular circumstances. I see that I can disconnect all equipment at the end of a sequence by using Ctrl+Shift+D. I presume some of you use this, perhaps as a script to run when the sequence has finished (completed or terminated for some reason). Can someone enlighten me as how that might be done (I need an actual scriptā€¦I would have no idea how to write one).

My immediate goal would be to have the equipment disconnected so that I can power it OFF remotely in a very basic wayā€¦using a time function on IP power sockets. (e.g. my run is due to finish at 4 a.m. then I can arrange to power off the sockets at 4.10 a.m. when I know that SGP has disconnected from everything. If the sequence finishes at 2 a.m. for some reason (e.g. cloud), then shutting off power at 4.10 a.m. is still better that leaving things run until say 8 a.m. when I go check the obs. at the bottom of the garden.)
Re the IP power sockets - I am waiting on delivery. They are not from ā€˜Digital Logger incā€™, so other than manual remote (from the house to the obs.) or via a time functionā€¦I am not yet 100% sure what way, if any, I can interface them into finish of the nights imaging.

I note @Ken on another post says: ā€œVersion 2.6.0.21 and better will have an option to disconnect all gear on sequence end.ā€ That will sort my question aboveā€¦thanks Ken.

Yes - the feature list with power control is a bottomless pit and as Chris said earlier, most of which is more suited to an observatory control application. Flat panels and power up / power down, associated with imaging might be the exception.