Aligning Images Without Using a Rotator

Hello SGP users. I’m New to the software but not new to Astrophotography. I am asking this question because I am considering purchasing a rotator. I have had rotators in the past but always hated the added complexity of this “luxury” (weight, cables, backfocus, adapters etc… ). Before I make my purchase I would like to know how you would align a new sequence to a previous image. I try very hard not to change the angle of my camera since it takes some time to get it back to the original position. A rotator would make this effortless but in my world it is a pain in the fanny especially with winter fast approaching. I have been using CCD Autopilot and this has a feature which makes it somewhat simple. You call up the image in The SkyX and plate solve it. That places a purple FOV indicator on your screen. From CCD Autopilot you can take an image and it downloads and links to the SkyX and places a Plate Solved image over the FOV. You simply compare the FOV box with the Plate Solve box and you can compare the two. Recently I was at the Black Forest Star Party and a friend of mine was using APT. This has a feature that allowed you to make a mask from the previous image. The mask would mark the bright stars with a circle. You can then take a new image and rotate the field so the bright stars fall into the circles on the mask. I thought this was even better than CCD Autopilot. How would I accomplish this in SGP? Help save me some $$$$$. Thank you for your time.

Anthony

Anthony,
You’ll want to use the “Manual Rotator”

To get the reference data from a previously acquired image:

• Open a previously acquired image in SGP.
  • Create a new target in SGP (or if it’s an empty sequence skip this)
  • Right click on the image and select to Plate Solve it.
  • A dialog will pop up asking if you’d like to set this solve as a reference for one of your targets. Select the check box and select the target.
  • Right click on the target that you populated with this result and choose “Center Target & Rotate Camera”

Using the “Manual Rotator” will prompt you to rotate the camera by a specific amount and uses plate solving to get done accurately.
http://mainsequencesoftware.com/Content/SGPHelp/ManualRotator.html

If you’re looking to create a Mosaic based off of this image you can using the Framing and Mosaic Wizard and use your image as the reference for setting up the Mosaic. The Framing and Mosaic Wizard will highlight your previously captured image (blue outline) so you know where it is in reference to the rest of the object.

Hope that helps,
Jared

2 Likes

Jared, thank you very much for that detailed timely response. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I can’t wait to try it out.

OH! This is Anthony from ADM Accessories. We had the chance to talk a little at NEAF. Thank you for encouraging me to try the software. Change is always difficult but so far so good.

Anthony

1 Like

Jared, I only got a couple of tests in before the clouds rolled in but it worked and worked really well. I am no longer afraid to change the position angle of my camera. Thank you for your help.

Anthony,
Glad SGP is working well for you! As I mentioned at NEAF I have lots of your astro metal :slight_smile: keep up the great work!

Jared

2 Likes