Allow Longer "Auto Focus Every x Minutes" Settings

Hi,

I have a very small request. On SGP’s autofocus routine, we’re able to tell SGP to autofocus every x number of minutes, no matter the temperature. I find it beneficial to have this enabled but unfortunately the cap is 100 minutes, which seems arbitrary to me.

I would prefer a setting of maybe 180 minutes or 240 minutes so it’s every 3 to 4 hours, rather than the 100 minute cap. This would keep my setup focused for sure, but not happen as often. The autofocus routine takes about 6 or 7 whole minutes when I use my 3nm narrowband filters so a higher setting would be great.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Kayron

I do not think that is arbitrary. I have imaged for 25 years with Carbon RCs, Refractors (inclining Carbon), SCTs, camera lenses, the works. I have never seen a system that could go that much longer than that w/o focus and still maintain proper (meaning ideal) focus. My longest current setting is 90 minutes but that is combined with a temp limit and is for a camera lens.

Bottom line, it could not hurt to allow longer times but would be a waste of time and imply that it is acceptable practice.

Fair enough, but I have SGP set up to refocus every 1.5°C change on an 8" Carbon Fiber RC and I’ve not noticed the focus deviate appreciably after 100 minutes if no refocus kicks in due to temperature change. After 3 hours or so, yes, so I’d set 180 minutes or something like that.

I’m sure there are more important changes to be made to SGP but from a programming standpoint, this only needs the textbox to allow values of over 100 and perhaps include a recommendation in the textbox’s tooltip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may try the “every n frames” option.

Kind regards,
Horia

I could do that, yeah, but my imaging sequence always has multiple targets on it, some LRGB, some narrowband. My narrowband exposures are all 30 minutes long and my LRGB exposures are all 15 minutes long. An “every x frames” setting would vary greatly between both types of imaging. The time setting is great for that.

I would like to join this request. I’m imaging with short focal length reflafctor (520mm). It’s relatively slow (1/6.5) and I would like to refocus only every ~ 3 hours. This change is simple and it will not impact other functions of SW, but it make happy at least 2 members.

1 Like

From release notes of v3.1.0.433 I see that it’s implemented! Thanks to the Dev team!