Antimeridian flip failed at lower culmination

Last night I quickly searched an object to image using Telescopius.com. Without further consideration I chose IC342 as target, on hindsight maybe not the best candidate for this time of year as it went towards its lower culmination during the night (still at a decent 27 degrees altitude), but that is how it goes sometimes…

Going towards its lower culmination (see the time-lapse video) one would expect that the mount would do an antimeridian flip, just like the normal meridian flips at the south-side of the observatory. However, the logfiles show no signs that a meridian flip was required, and at around 01:45 UTC the mount stops to avoid a pier-collision, resulting in a nice set of star-trails.

As my south-side meridian flips always are successful, I wonder whether I have to use a different setting or that this is a bug in SGP? I have checked the ASCOM SideOfPier indication, but these are ASCOM 6 conform.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,
Nicolàs

SGP settings:

• Use Auto Meridian Flip: checked

Auto Meridian Flip Options:

• Minutes Past Meridian to Flip: 5
  • Wait for Meridian: n.a.
  • Pause Before Meridian Flip: n.a.
  • Auto Center After Meridian Flip: checked
    – Pause Before Auto Center: n.a.
    – Pause After Auto Center: n.a.
  • Auto meridian flip auto-close delay: 10 [seconds]

Mount settings (10Micron GM3000HPS):

• ASCOM driver:
    – Unassisted flip: checked
  • Handset:
    – Flip slew tolerance: 1°
    – Flip guide tolerance: 8°

bump, surely someone must have an answer to this, I hope? :thinking:

I’ve just pushed something for EKOS that should help with this. Not sure if SGP can handle it at al.

I am not sure either, was hoping to find out here from Jared or others. At the same time I have noticed that at least two of my Dutch friends would appreciate if it could, so I think that it would be nice to have it implemented if it isn’t already.

Nicolàs

bump one more time in the hope to find an answer…

Perhaps the silence tells you what you need to know.

Hi Chris,

yes, I guess it is impossible at the moment. Meanwhile I have found a solution:
I can image some 25 minutes past the meridian, so I found a work-around using two events:

• Event 1: should finish shortly before the time of antimeridian passage (some 5 minutes). Of course SGP only gives an estimate of the event length, but I have op to 25 minutes past the meridian to finish. So with those 5 additional minutes, the first event can run out by 30 minutes, allowing time for the focus-runs.
  • Event 2: is not allowed to start before 3 minutes after the antimeridian passage and starts with a slew to the target (the first event starts with a slew as well, but that is not of importance here).

In case Event 1 stops in the expected time-frame (which is unlikely), the sequence is halted by 10 minutes. Any run out of Event 1 will shorten this gap. If the run out exceeds the 8 minutes gap, Event 2 will fire immediately and no time is lost, while the mount flips as a result of the slew-command.

I tested this and works quite well, provided the times are entered correctly… :wink:

Nicolàs

For those interested I have uploaded a video of a successful anti-meridian flip at InFINNity Deck while imaging IC342.

Nicolàs