Any user with a Canon 60D prepared to share settings

Hello All,

I’m looking for some help with the settings for a Canon 60D. I have the camera working but would like to populate the gain and other values.
An someone who has this information filled in please share a screen shot with the info to help me.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and further helping out.

Regards
Martin

I occasionally use a 60Da. I typically use up to ISO 800, it all depends mostly on level of light pollution and if I have additional filters in the path.

I try and keep all my exposures under 5 minutes - so depending on the subject, will try a 60 second exposure with frame and focus at an ISO setting and check the pixel values. I try to keep all stars, except the cores of the very brightest, within range. From there, decide if I need longer, or a higher ISO setting.

I have set up my portable rig with FSQ85 and EOS60Da. I’ll remind myself of the settings and post some V-curves etc, that is, if the clouds play nice.

I use a 70D , I’m not sure that I would help much being so new. I populated all the camera settings basically by google searching the info from photography testing websites. There is a lot of information out there.

One thing in particular I’ve run across is that for the majority of Canon camera’s most of the websites recommend ISO 1600. I forgot the site but one even has graphs of the data and ratio between the gain and the noise at different ISO settings.

What’s most interesting though is that at least with the 70D the graph drops off significantly after ISO 800 yet 1600 is still the number recommended by most.

I have done some limited testing in this area, but anecdotally I can say that I feel like my data is better when I’m shooting long exposures at low ISO (5 to 10 min subs at ISO 400 or 800). This is at a green zone darksite. If I’m in my driveway using a LP filter (Baader semi-apo filter) then I’m always at low ISO

Now the flip side is that I’ve managed some really good images (imho) at ISO 1600 also doing 5min subs.

I guess the short answer is I need way more “equipment” time. :slight_smile: