ASCOM 6.5 and ASCOM Remote

Is anyone using the new RC1 version of ASCOM 6.5 and ASCOM remote successfully with SGP?

I’ve had SGP working against a copy of ASCOM remote server, with my kit attached to a PC that’s on an ethernet wired network using ASCOM 6.4SP1, but recently updated to the release candidate of ASCOM 6.5. I’m finding that the Telescope is reporting RA/DEC/Sidereal time all as zero in SGP.

The reason I’ve upgraded to a pre release version is that ASCOM 6.5 has some huge performance improvements with the remote drivers. Rather than taking about 10 seconds to download a 16Mp image, it takes less than 1 second, so was hoping to get this going.

Interestingly, other programs (e.g. Maxim DL) do show the RA/DEC/etc correctly, but SGP doesn’t for some reason. Anyone seen this before?

1 Like

I have not messed with that release yet. I’ll grab it and play with it in the next couple of days.

Jared

3 Likes

I also saw the same issue with 6.5rc1. I was using iOptron Commander running on the same machine as SGP (not using ASCOM remote).

Were you able to try ASCOM 6.5 Jared? I’ve resorted to NINA in the meantime as SGP is basically not usable having put ASCOM 6.5 on the machine, but it would be nice to get SGP back up and running.

I got a note that ASCOM 6.5 RC2 was released today. If fixes several RC1 bugs and introduced offsets (usually for CMOS cameras) in lCameraV3 and improved the gain setting too.

Event settable offset and gain for SGP 4.0?

4 Likes

I’ve just tried it out, and it fixes the issue I was seeing. Jared, thanks for your help here. I’m guessing the issue you reported to the ASCOM developer forum about the problem with Julian Date was the cause here. Much appreciated!!

Stewart.

You should probably make that an official feature request. I love the idea.

1 Like

yeah, maybe - I didn’t want to get too heavy - I’m sure K&J will pick up on it.

Potentially before…this already exists for ZWO, we’ll be removing support for our Native ZWO implementation once we get the ASCOM offset support completed, at which time any device that exposes offset will be able to be controlled through SGP (previously only native ZWO)

Thanks,
Jared

1 Like

Please don’t remove the native Zwo support. With ASCOM you can only control 2 Zwo cameras on a single PC, but with the native support, you can use as many cameras as you have connected.

Jared,

I sent notes to ZWO support requesting that they add support for CMOS camera offset control as ASCOM 6.5 is released. There was some loss in translation per my request, as they showed me setting gain and offset with their ASCOM driver in SGP, but they did not look at setting gain and offset in the target event settings dialog for automated sequences.

Mark W

I have some contacts at ZWO and have a beta ASCOM driver that supports offset…so they’re aware :wink:

Thank you,
Jared

The existing native support is in dire need of removal. The drivers are quite old and probably cause more harm than good. We will not be updating them either. If you need to access additional ASI cameras I would recommend writing them about addressing it.

Thank you,
Jared

Just a comment to note that the native driver for me has been stable for weeks since my last episode of issues. So it works pretty well overall - maybe not as stable as ZWO’s ASCOM but well. Why not just leave them in along with the warning you currently have? Let folks make informed decisions.

My guess for needing support for more than 2 ZWO cameras per PC would be for multi-rig setups to one PC which could result in having 4 or more ZWO cameras attached.

1 Like

ASCOM 6.5 was released today. Some interesting new developments for cameras and calibration devices.

Are there release notes somewhere? I don’t see 6.5 or release notes on the ASCOM website.

Yes, I’m hoping they put together a nuget package soonish (this is what SGP builds against). I asked for one during the release phase but a pre-release was not created. I’ll bug them again.

Jared

Not thinking, I downloaded the new platform and SGP is acting up connecting to my mount (G53F). Everything else works fine. I’m wondering if it is possible to roll back to the earlier version or if something is in the works for SGP?

Thanks,

Gord

6.5 shouldn’t really have breaking changes for SGP or mounts so that’s somewhat interesting. I wouldn’t expect what we’re doing to address the mount behavior though. So probably worth posting a log.

Jared