Ascom camera crash takes down SGP

I am still finding that on the rare occasions that my camera loses connection to the USB hub that connects to SGP, windows reports a problem with ‘the last connection’, and if a camera download is started, it sticks permanently and takes down SGP. Is it not possible to have SGP intercept this failing download and end it neatly? Every time it happens I have to force a closure and reboot the laptop (and incidentally re-cool the camera).

FWIW I am using a powered USB that takes connections from the main and guide camera so there are rarely more than two feeds.

Lawrence Harris

@Lawrence_Harris

I don’t know. It really depends on what the crash is and who it originates from… If you can provide a log showing the crash, we can see if we are able to help. Likely your camera is the software that issues the crashing event, but we need to know what it is specifically.

You might find this problem goes away if you connect that camera directly to the PC without going through a USB hub. These hubs, including the best powered hubs, are often a source of this kind of intermittent problem. If had this kind of problem for over a year. I tried 4 or 5 different powered hubs. No help. Finally I moved my PC closer to the mount so I could connect directly to a USB port on the PC with a 10’ cable. Problem fixed, permanently.
Software Bisque even states in their manuals that you should avoid using hubs for any USB connections. Often unreliable.
If have given this advice to some other users and it has fixed their issues.
If you can’t make this hardware change, try using a boosted USB extension cable that connects directly to the pc. I have used them with good success, but no longer need any of them. My pc sits directly under my mount on a tower near the ceiling of the lower floor. The mount is on the second floor of the observatory, directly over the pc. So it is about 5’ from mount to pc. Makes it easy to connect all the USB cables directly.

Thanks for the comments. I will look seriously into the possibility of a direct connection - but it has to go from the camera at the end of the OTS, across the mount, down to the floor and along and up to the laptop. It is a long run; currently the camera/guider USB cables run to a hub below centre of the mount and then a communal USB3 cable runs to the laptop.

This failure happens about 1 in 5-10 sessions.

Lawrence H

Then try one of these:

The come longer if 16ft is too short for you.

Maybe I can find one here in the UK :slight_smile:

Lawrence