ASCOM, ST4, DirectGuide and TheSkyX

I’m fast coming to the conclusion to abandon pulse (direct ) guiding with the Paramount. While PHD2 is under SGP control, everything is cool but as soon as I do a slew or something in TSX, while guiding is still operating, I’m guessing that TSX throws an exception and the ASCOM driver assumes the worse and disables the feature. I have to reset everything, reset the ASCOM properties and start again. I’m not entirely certain but this seems to be a recent thing, maybe the result of a recent daily build.

I think I will give ST4 a try again. At least PHD2 lives in ignorance and will continue happily on until SGP tells it to start up again.

Understandable, but not ideal… When using ST-4 remember that PHD2 cannot adjust your calibration between targets as DEC changes so it is advisable to use the recalibrate auto guider when target changes option.

Not sure why a slew would happen while guiding is in progress, but a better option than going to ST4 would be to un-check this option in PHD2.

Thanks Andy,

Which version of PHD2 is this ?, I’m using the 2.6.3 GP Beta (predictive Pec) and I don’t see this option and no ‘other devices’ tab showing

Thanks
Uri

Uri,

The option is available on any version of phd2, at least within the last couple years. The option only shows up for ASCOM mount connections. If you are using an ST4 type connection the option is absent because with an ST4-type connection phd2 does not receive any information from the mount like whether it is slewing.

BTW, unrelated to your question, you should upgrade to the latest development version of PHD2 since the beta version you are using is obsolete and the PPEC feature is now officially included in PHD2.

Andy

1 Like

Thanks Andy, I understand…and many thanks for the link to latest version

much appreciated

Uri

1 Like

@Ken There is an option to additionally link to the mount in PHD2 - which allows ST4 and DEC compensation (not that I use DEC compensation, but that is another story)

@Andy - yes it is not something by SGP but if I forget to turn off guiding when I’m lining up a target, when I come to use SGP, it falls over. I get forgetful when I’m tired!