ASI1600 Mono Cooled

I recently bought SGP to use with an ASI 1600 mono cooled camera. For the first couple of evenings it ran perfectly. Then I found it was stalling on downloading an image. Since then it hasn’t worked at all. Last night, in desperation, I tried installing the beta version (3.0.0.2) and it worked for a while then did the same thing. The camera works fine with SharpCap and AGP.

I seem to have it working today (touch wood), running without the guide cam or filter wheel connected to the ASI1600 (i.e. the camera is the only thing on the USB chain) and at the lowest USB speed setting.

Have any other users of the ASI1600 got theirs working with SGP and been able to use the two usb ports on the back of the camera to daisy chain other devices? If so, how? Running two cables outside isn’t ideal!

many thanks

Steve

Steve,

I use the ASI-1600mm Cool with SGP and had the same problem at first. Turns out the guide cam and image cam drivers were the cause. Even though I had installed the newest ZWO drivers, I had selected older drivers (the old ones still show up for selection). Once I selected the driver with camera 1 & camera 2 choices, it’s worked like a charm. I also use an ASI0174mm for guiding.

Phil

1 Like

Are you connected by USB3.0 directly to your computer? If not you can try lowering the USB speed. My good laptop died and my backup only has USB2.0 ports and I was having a lot of trouble with my ASI camera with SGP and even with PHD2. I had no issue with Sharpcap but it uses the direct drive and not ASCOM. You can give it a try.

Lower USB speed is generally what fixes things.

SGP 3.0 will have native support for the ZWO cams, which should alleviate some of these issues that we have experienced with the ZWO ASCOM driver. It will probably be out in the next beta release, I have it mostly complete at this point.

Thanks,
Jared

2 Likes

Thanks. I have it working at the moment by running it at the lowest usb speed and as the only device on the cable with a second cable used for filter wheel and guide cam. Even so, this set-up occasionally fails. I now reboot the machine before starting an imaging run and make sure only phd and sgp are running.

Look forward to the next release it sounds like that will solve the issue (and reduce the mass of spaghetti cabling!!)

Seem to have it working through the ASI1600 now. Was still having problems so I went through Astrobin and looked at what guide cams people were using with the ASI1600 and it seemed that the Lodestar x2 and the QHYLII were working successfully for people regularly. Got myself one of the former and then reinstalled all the ASI drivers (native and ASCOM) and also the latest devt build of PHD. Then ran PHD, looping (during the day with lens cap on) whilst taking a series of exposures on the ASI1600 with SGP and it all ran smoothly through one usb cable from the pc to the camera (filter wheel and guide cam plugged into back of camera). Yet to try this for several hours in a live scenario (weather has been poor!) but look forward to testing.

Tried this last night - ran a sequence of 21 lum and 9 each of R, G, B, 180s each (i.e. 48 images x 3 min each - nearly two and a half hours). Ran perfectly. No hang ups or issues downloading images despite having the guide cam and filter wheel plugged into the back of the camera, the camera plugged into a hub, along with a focus controller and then that lot running through a 10m cable from the telescope into the house. I think it was either an issue with the driver installation or a conflict with the guide cam that was causing the issue previously. Anyway, very relieved to have SGP working properly with my set-up as it is a great piece of software.