ASI1600MM-C and Darks

Is it possible to take both Bias and Darks (by selecting Bias and/or Darks when setting up the sequence) with this ASI1600MM-C camera - is uses a rolling shutter and doesn’t seem to work for me. I also use an Atik383L and have not problem doing either darks or bias. I sure hate having to head out in the middle of the night and cover the scope after a Lights sequence has finished.

Methinks it has something to do with the rolling shutter - which most CMOS sensors have but hope there is a work-around.

I don’t think there is anything you can do other than to cover the scope. The rolling shutter isn’t really a shutter, it’s an electronic way to regulate the exposure but there’s no shutter that actually stops light reaching the sensor. The 383 has a real shutter.

Yep…I sorta figured that!

Yup, as Chris mentioned the only way is to actually cover the objective. If you have a Cooled ASI1600 you can at least create a library of darks/bias so you don’t have to do it every night. This assumes you’re capturing at the same temperature since the darks/bias will only be good at a given temp.

Thanks,
Jared

Yessir on the library. Being brought up using DSLR…cameras with NO “setpoint” cooling I am use to using the same night time temps to manage darks and bias to get it close. But I am building a dark library as I type this epistle.