Astrobin Links not working for Plate Solving

I have just tried the link which you post Iosif in my SGP 2.0.6.24 and it solved successfully. I have had some success with images from DSO Browser, but many are not plate solved to start with which makes it limited.

Tried an Astrobin link and still get the error. Not sure why this would work for me Geoff and not you… thats a bit strange.

I have just tried to import a target from DSO-Browser.
Importing via Framing & Mosaic Wizard it works.
Importing the same target via Import Targets DSO-Browser fails.
I am using Version 3.0.0.3

Nigel

Thanks Aidan,
Its good that you got it working with same version as me, but now I’m even more confused…!! I had no issues with 2.6.0.23, but now can’t get either to work with anything. There must be some setting that got changed or something, but I have no clue where to look… :disappointed:
Geof

I guess the more feedback we give, the better understanding will be gleaned to getting a solution.

I found a similar thread about this in the past

the OP said that he solved the problem by checking ‘firewall inbound rules’, so I’m wondering if something happened there. I’m way out of my comfort zone there, but maybe Ken could offer some advice. This is what the advanced setting for my firewall inbound rules looks like…

… but it means nothing to me…
Regards, Geof

Just throwing my name into the hat here. Happened to me me last night on a new target. No matter what Astrobin target I chose it failed. I ended up using the framing and mosaic to search for the target and then create the sequence from there.

That’s not a solution though for the people that have not purchased frame and mosaic.

This has got to be something astrobin did not Sgpro.

Hi. It is another way to import target, from Astroplaner, it is not free, you must to buy it. Astroplaner is an verry good planer, and you can export an object, or all object who is visible in one night.
Astroplaner is like in image.

From SGPro you can import the target like in example.

I have imported 44 visible target in my location.

And i have selected Crab Nebula from target list verry well.

Please escuse my bad English, and i think that help evrybody, who love like me SGPro.
Clear sky Iosif.

This thread seems to have deviated from the original intent. With respect to broken Astrobin links, a bit of bad news. After some discussion with Astrobin, it seems like it might be too difficult to make Astrobin interface with SGPro like it used to. Because of this, all previous builds of SGPro will never again be able to communicate with AstroBin. Going forward, all new versions of SGPro will be restored to the expected functionality.

Ken, thanks for the update. I don’t think that the thread really deviated, rather we were trying to understand whether this was just an SGPro/Astrobin issue, or whether it was something more than that, e.g. I do not seem able to use links from any of Astrobin, Flickr, DSO Browser with v2.6.0.24, but others do have functionality with other urls albeit not Astrobin. As you say its a bit of bad news about current versions of SGPro no longer ever working with Astrobin, so please could you clarify what you mean by, ‘going forward all new versions will be restored to the expected functionality’, e.g. if I upgrade to the latest beta 3.0.0.3 now, will that work, or will it only be when you release the next full release of SGPro 3.x.x.x? Many thanks Geof

Well poo… it wasen’t broken so why did they go and fix it?

I guess AB is just moving with the times - updating for continued and probably increased users.

I’m more than likely going to try the Astoplanner. At the moment i log my sessions in a notebook, so it will kind of double hat to both log my sessions and provide targets.

Fingers crossed 3.xxxx fixes it natively and harmony is restored to the galaxy.

Can’t really comment here except to say whatever broke it was part of a major site upgrade for AstroBin.

The next 3.X beta will have this repaired. In addition to this, we will also release a version of 2.6 that repairs this issue.[quote=“geoflewis, post:35, topic:6511”]
I do not seem able to use links from any of Astrobin, Flickr, DSO Browser with v2.6.0.24
[/quote]

Not sure here. I used the DSO-Browser link you provided with no issues. Would need to see logs.

Thanks Ken,
Its good to know that there will also be a new release of 2,6, but in any case I will probably upgrade to v3 once that is a full release. I tried to solve from DSO Browser again this morning checking the log as I made changes, but I did not see anything added to the log to show that I did that.
sg_logfile_20171118090849.txt (24.8 KB)
For example I tried the target url from DSO Browser at about 09:18, but there is nothing in the log for that time. I then reloaded an existing sequence for M77, then replaced that with a new sequence with profile “QSI583+C14+Optec” and tried the url again, but I don’t see any record of that. Perhaps I’m reading the log incorrectly, so I’ll be interested to learn from you. BTW I do see several 'error loading…- lines at the start of the log, so what do they mean please? Are they significant or should they be ignored.
This was all done with my laptop not connected to any equipment.
Regards,

Geof

@geoflewis

Sorry, you are right. There are two parts of code for DSO Browser. One to import your list and the other to import a single target. The one for lists has pretty good logging. I have added logging to the target import code for the next beta.

That said, if you were game to try and import a target list from DSO, it would probably fail in the same way (and has better logging).

At least we will see the functionality return :slight_smile:

Could you give some indication on when we are likely to see the 2.xxx update? Likewise for 3.xxxx

Many thanks
Aidan

Thanks Ken,
No worries, I can add the target cordinates manually until we get the fixed releases. Its just a bit clunky and I’m finding that there is sometimes a descrpancy on target center coordinates probably due to JNOW v J2000. Any idea how long before the fixed release will be please?
Regards,

Geof

Hi. I have tested import target image to Astrobin, and work ok.
Here is an link to Astrobin/Explore/Top Picture/Sculptor Galaxy.

And two image with test. Thankyou SGPro team for this tool.

1 Like

Great news, I’ve just downloaded and installed it. Tested on both the old very long Astrobin URL’s and the newer shorter ones… Both solved straight away,

Many thanks to both SGP and Astrobin for getting this sorted pretty sharpish. I am sure many will be glad of getting this functionality back :slight_smile:

Rgds
Aidan

1 Like

Ditto from me. Just downloaded and tested the Astrobin url and it seems to be work as before. Great job, many thanks. Geof

Hmmm. Seems like it might be broken again. See my post in

URL Downloads - Platesolve