Astrometry.net Local Index File Location

I’ve been successfully running Astrotortilla and now looking to run Astrometry.net locally via SGP. I’ve installed the local solver but it seems to be looking for the index files in a different location from AT. I’m sure there’s a way to force the local solver to look in the right directory but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks,
Don

Don,

The local solver will be looking for the index files in C:\Users\<YOUR_USERNAME>\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr\usr\share\astrometry\data\

The easiest thing to do is copy the files from the Astrotortilla location to there.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Another question, how then do I point AT to this location? I don’t have enough drive space to store multiple copies.

• Don

Don,

I think it can be done as follows.

• first, you’ll need a text editor that will not corrupt the Astrotortilla astrometry.net config file by converting the line endings to DOS-style. Avoid Notepad and WordPad. Notepad++ is a good free alternative, and there are numerous others.

• open C:\cygwin\etc\astrometry\backend.cfg in the text editor

(I’m assuming your Astrotortilla cygwin is in the default location, C:\cygwin)

• find the line that says: add_path /usr/share/astrometry/data
    and add a line below it that says
    add_path /cygdrive/c/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/AppData/local/cygwin_ansvr/usr/share/astrometry/data

(replace YOUR_USERNAME with your Windows user name)
(the forum is splitting that into two lines, keep it as a single line in the file.)

• Save the file. Make sure your editor does not convert the file to DOS-style line endings.
  • Run a plate solve in Astrotortilla. It should pick up the ansvr index files.

Andy

1 Like

Thanks again Andy. That’s the path I was headed down and it looks like AT is properly reading the index files from the new location but I can’t get any images to solve (blind solve in seconds in SGP). These are saved images, it’s blowing 50 outside right now so no imaging. I’m not sure if I need to change any settings in AT, like the search radius? I’ve never had any luck solving saved images in AT, I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

• Don

I am looking for the ansvr server without the full setup.
Is it still available as download?

Thanks
Robert

Hi Robert,

http://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/ansvr-latest.tar.gz

Andy

1 Like