Atik EFW2 Fails to report move complete + SGP failed to notify

I set the filter delay because that was one suggestion made in the previous thread linked in the OP above. It seemed to me that the problem decreased after setting a delay. But thinking about it a bit, there is no logical reason why this would make any difference at all.

I’ve been running a sequence for about 2hrs now with filter changes every image and so far so good. I’ve not noticed any kind of slow down. But what do you mean by slow down? Just that SGP takes longer to move on to the next thing when a filter change or focus is called? I’ve not noticed anything like that.

I’m also using the old driver tonight.

By slow down, I mean it takes much longer for the filter to actually change from one to the next or for the focuser to change from one position to the next. It may be something gone amiss on my setup but it happens when one is not normally looking at the sequence run i.e. I started at 10 p.m. last night and what I am seeing is at 5 a.m. in the morning - 7 hours into the sequence. Last night it was go, go, go…no delay whatsoever…but not this far into the sequence. I was looking at things via TeamViewer, so unfortunately cannot say if the the filter wheel really did take 45 seconds (about) to change over filters OR if it was just that the comms took that long to report it.

Most likely it is my gear only - but I have to ask in case others have noticed similar (and of course, I am wondering if this has anything to do with the filter hang that some of us are seeing).

Hi.

I had exactly the same problem a while ago and also other usb devices were acting randomly strange.
The issue for me was that there were too many devices on the USB2 hub (powered). I had to remove my autoguider (especially the QHY5L-II uses all that 2.0 bandwith…) and put it on a direct cable to the computer.

Since then not one issue.

Kind regards, Graem

Had a good time imaging the past few days. I did not have issues with the July 5th version of the core software in the field. That was a big relief, but I used the 20 second delay that Joel suggested.

@graemlourens I have always used my guider directly connected to the laptop. SO that is not an issue for me. Also, others have tried had the “Fails to report” issue even with the EFW2 directly connected to a USB port on their computer. See this thread: EFW2 Ascom Problem: FW reports "Moving" even when filter is set

Ajay

Ajay and all,
I reverted to the pre-July 5 Atik core software, and I have now had 2 full
nights of imaging without seeing this issue WITHOUT using the filter
delay. And I change filters every exposure so the EFW2 got a good workout
each night. I’m pretty sure at this point that this is an Atik issue so
I’m going to report this over on the Atik forum.

Hi All
Has there been a solution found in the meantime?
@Kinch: Could you send me the link for 1.1. driver
thanks a lot and best regards
rick

Rick, I’m pretty confident in saying that this issue has been resolved by the latest drivers on the Atik website (updated Sep. 23). I had been testing some test builds that Chris Golden of Atik sent me and after a few nights of imaging (rotating filters between each exposure) and a couple days of taking flats (again rotating between exposures) I haven’t seen this problem.

Chris was not the original writer of the ASCOM driver and apparently there was a lot of code upstream that caused this (perhaps in conjunction with the new code Chris was writing in to an existing driver). That upstream code has been cleaned up and everything is working well now (fingers crossed!).

I have not tried the new driver yet. I reverted to the old one when having problems some time ago and have used that one since without issue.

I hope you try the newer one first (the one Joel mentions above) and let us know how it goes. As a back up…I’ll send you a link to the version I am using via a PM.

I tried the new core software dated Sept 28, 2016 downloaded from the Atik site. Happy to report that the filterwheel driver performed with no glitches during a quick bench-trial. The lengthy “moving…” message doesn’t appear. Connections are swift. Atik FiterRunner and SGP report identical results after a filter change. Did not get any exception upon pressing the setup button, before or after connection. My SGP version is 2.5.1.17

My observing season is done for the time being. Those of you who can get some time under the stars might want to give this a try. Chris Golden of Atik deserves thanks.

Ajay

There is one circumstance which the software (SGP/Atik Driver) still does not handle, but really shouldn’t be expected to. If you press SGP setup icon while the wheel is moving, the Atik FilterRunner pops up with a filter number of “1” irrespective of where the wheel is. However if you close the filter runner and press setup again the FilterRunner pops up with the correct entry. From that point on everything works as well.

You shouldn’t have to do what I have described above! I have been deliberately trying to break the s/w in order to give feedback to make it more robust.

Ajay

Originally, SGPro disabled device settings when the device was connected, then we ran across some device (can’t remember that would not allow settings unless it was connected). Since ASCOM does not specify one way of the other, driver authors should disallow settings when connected if it will place the software in a bad state.

All in all the s/w is not in a bad state. If I were in the field imaging I would not mess around the way I did in this test scenario. If one waited till the filter change was complete things work as expected. So I am not too concerned about this. Still I’ve passed on the message to Chris Golden at Atik.

Ajay

Whenever this has happened to me, tightening the motor tension adjustment screw (beside the USB port) has fixed it. Oh, except for one time there was a frayed thread stuck in one of the alignment holes that needed to be removed.
…Keith

Same problem here… I noticed today that the option Allow the computer to turn off the driver to save power was switched on at the USB input Device driver of the ATIK filter wheel (under tab Power Management). I switched it off since my filter wheel often did not respond after a longer time of inactivity. I’ll test if this makes a difference.

Yep, this fixed unexpected stopping by the EFW2 filter wheel for me…

I’m not second guessing you at all, but how did you test this? My experience with this problem was so hit and miss that sometimes I thought the problem was solved only to have it crop up again. I’ll certainly adjust the power management too, although thankfully I have not had an issue with this in a while (using the latest driver).

Beside stopping somewhere during the night the filter wheel did always needed a power reset the next day I started again. That no longer seems to be needed. Also during the night it worked flawlessly so far (but that was only for two nights).

I had another EFW2 keep on moving despite the setting change. It did fix the needed power cycle (after a day or so) but it seems the keep on moving issue during operation is still there…

Today removed all the ATIK drivers on the system. Removed all ATIK references in the Registry (as far as possible) and reinstalled the latest version (4.1.2.1) and ensured the Power Management option is switched off again so I can give it another try tonight.

Last night the setup worked all night without problems. Hopefully the issue is resolved (BTW I used the Rotate through events option for the Event order to ensure a lot of filter changes and made 120sec subs all night)…