Autocenter fails after EQMOD meridian flip

I have found that the problem is caused by the platesolve and sync that SGP does before the flip.
This sets DxSA and DxSB values in EQMOD (they were zero) and it must be these that conflict with the SGP slews issued after the flip. If I stop the auto-center after the flip and clear DxSA and DxSB back to zero again the auto-center works perfectly. So the question is can I stop SGP from syncing before the flip, but still have it auto-center after the flip?.

You cannot. We like to get an exact position directly before the flip to ensure that we return to it on the other side of the mount. Lots of folks use EQMOD for flips right nowā€¦ I canā€™t believe there is no way around this except for disabling that sync.

Also, the new syncless center feature that we are working on should provide users with these types of issues some relief here.

The plate solve before the meridian flip is what gives the exact position. The sync contributes nothing because it is immediately followed by the long meridian flip slew.

What would help is to do the plate solve but NOT the sync (or the syncless centre).

Chris

That was my thinking too Chris. I will raise a request for the user to have the option of plate solving without sync before the flip. that would certainly solve the problem. I canā€™t see any other way around this.

Just re-reading Kenā€™s reply, it sounds like this is already being worked on, assuming it can be applied when performing the flip.

We will continue to sync the mount prior to flip unless you have ā€œoffsetā€ chosen for syn behavior.

No need to request anythingā€¦ see above. Again, Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t be of more help, but MANY folks with EQMOD are using SGPro in its current form to flip so I think there has to be a way to configure around it.

One way round it is to ensure the offending sync operation occurs in a region where EQMOD will reject it. So long as you are using releatively recent versions of EQMOD the following should be possible:

Set your SGP flip point well past the meridian itself (the more minutes the better). EQMOD will reject sync operations that take place past the meridian so when SGP performs the sync prior to the flip EQMOD raises an execption that SGP will catch, ignore, and continue with the flip movement.

Chris.

Was having some issues with centering after the flip. I changed from PS2 to Astrometry. net and all is fine. I am using eqmod , my question is: under equipment profile manager SGP has added the option of using Sync, Offset , or None in the telescope tab . I could fine no information in the help file. Could someone please explain the differences . There was a discussion about what would be best to use when working with EQMOD.

Thanks !!

This feature is still in beta, but basically, there should be no difference in the physical operation of the mountā€¦ both should get you on target.

Sync: Sends a command to your mount to tell it where it is after SGPro solves (works with most mountsā€¦ default)
Offset: Uses math to determine the offset between where the mount is actually pointing and where it thinks it is pointing to determine the pointing error for the desired target. Does not use a sync, corrupt a mountā€™s model or otherwise attempt to correct the mount (just accounts for error). Required for some mounts that donā€™t want external apps mucking with their internal modeling.