Autoguider not settling after auto focus

Hi, first post here. In the latest SGP, everything is working well; auto focus is good, guider pauses during autofocus and between frames it settles to at least 1 pixel. But after the auto focus routine, SGP doesn’t wait for the guider to settle, it just dives right into the next sub. Often times the auto focus throws the star off so it takes a while to settle. I find myself having to manually restart the sub after each auto focus trigger or eventually having to delete the sub anyways during quality selection. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere? Would be great if the settle worked before every frame, even after auto focus!

Thanks,
Jordan

Bueller? Anybody?

I THINK what is happening is that the guider pauses before auto focus usually in a very good spot. When the auto focus is done, it goes to resume and settle the guider but before the first 3 second guide exposure completes, it sees the frame that it paused on before starting the AF so assumes it’s already under the settling parameters and just goes for it. Is this a bug?

What’s your settling option of your “Auto Guide” tab? Is “For” option in settling box checked? How many seconds are set for settling? I usually set it as three times of guiding exposure. What about “Pause guiding during auto focus” in “Other options” box? If you use ONAG or OAG, it should be checked, of course,

Finally, did you check above options were selected during your sequence was running? Via “Control Panel”, you can override options that you selected in profile manager.

I was seeing issues like this before. I set SGP to settle during AF. That lengthened my AF routine from < 5 minutes to > 15 minutes; sometimes almost 30 minutes. But, it had 100% success rate. I think that my polar alignment was a bit off, and so I was getting too much drift during AF to properly re-acquire the same star. I also have my search window in PHD2 set to 40 pixels. After a good polar alignment, but with 40 pixel search area, I was able to remove the Settle during AF setting. So, maybe your alignment is a bit off? I typically don’t have pause during AF turned on.

Dave
Thunder Creek Observatory

Thanks for the tip Jinyoung, that was it. I had the settle for 1 pixel but not for any time limit. Changed it to 1 pixel AND 3 seconds and it works like a charm! Thanks!