Automatic Sky Flats

This is an old one but I’d like to see its inclusion in v2.5. It is the last thing that keeps me using older software.

Basically, figure out when the sun is on the horizon, slew the scope directly ‘up’ or to a pre-defined position, turn off tracking, and then automatically figure out the flux per second to get the ADUs that are user-defined. Once it’s complete, it’d be nice if it just ran the night sequence. Also, if it could be set to do dawn flats… that’d be great too.

I think the applicability to ‘novices’ is great since it saves them quite a few bucks setting up a lightbox/flat panel. In addition, it automates flat collection; something new guys have trouble understanding too.

I know, not sexy :). But, I’d still love to see it included.

Thanks,
Chris

4 Likes

+1 - especially when you do narrowband imaging, regular flat panels don’t
work (I need several minutes exposure time). Plus I don’t like to have a
heavy piece of equipment at the very end of my scope.

Marks
2 Likes

+1 This is my number 1 feature request.

1 Like

BUMP!

Now,
you can create a flat sequence, you can create an estimated start time, you can create preferred coordinates.
I would think a small step to implement an ADU measuring routine before sequence start.
See this as a compliment for all the hard work you’ve done so far! I’m a big fan!

1 Like

Not as small as you might think… we would have done this already if that were the case.

Tentatively marking for 2.5 (since this is a recurring request…). I am still a bit mystified that this is so popular given that flat boxes weigh less than a U.S. pound (sorry British ppl), require minimal electrical skills and cost about $50-$100 depending on scope size. They can be extremely bright… I have 3nm narrowband filters and my flats take less than 1 min (sometimes close). The only use case I see for this is for truly mobile users that don’t want to spend 60-75 min taking flats… other than that, take them after imaging or during the next night (so long as you can afford not to break down the scope).

1 Like

Adding this link:

One more vote for this feature Ken.