Automating an Explora-dome without Foster Systems

Hello Fellow SGP Users.

I could use some guidance from those who have created their own DIY Dome Controllers that work with SGP. I am planning on purchasing an Explora-dome, but without the Foster Systems Dome Control systems. I have decided against getting Foster Systems due to the high cost as well as the numerous issues people have reported when using the system. Instead I am just planning on ordering the basic system with Key Fob controllers for rotation and shutter control. However, I still want to be able to get the dome automation working so that I can use with my favorite imaging software, Sequence Generator Pro.

I would really appreciate it if anyone out there with experience with DIY dome automation can provide some guidance on what would be required to convert the Explora-dome form the Key Fob controller to a system that is fully ASCOM compliant and will work with SGP. I have looked into the DPP LesveDomeNet automation option, but this looks fairly complicated and not sure if it will work with the motor controllers that come with the Explora-dome or if I have to add my own motor controllers. I have also heard of some people using Arduinos to automate their domes. This sounds like a promising option, but not real sure how it works and could use some guidance.

I will be using this system with a Astro-Physics GTO Mach1 mount on a permanent pier. The OTA will be either an EdgeHD11 or a 140 mm refractor.

Anyone out there would can provide some knowledgeable advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Andrew J