Best DSLR Body

Hi,

I actually have a couple of good Nikon cameras I would use for imaging had it not been the hardware’s usb connection issues. I am considering getting a DSLR primarily for astroimaging. I know that Canin is pretty popular. What else people like here? Are the Sony brands good?

Which cameras do you already have?
I got a friend who uses Nikon’s and he runs them all night without problems.
If you really are getting another camera it would be nice to have a little information about the scope it would be used on and how much you would be willing to spend.

I currently have a D750 and a D7200. I have always had connectivity issues with them. I actually image with a monochrome cooled camera, but was thinking about resorecting a DSLR imaging system as well. I have an 80mm refractor and an 8 inch SCT. I use an Atlas Pro mount.

I don’t have a price in mind. I am evaluating Sony, Pentax, Canon, etc.

Thanks

The connectivity issues is something other than your camera, might be your USB cable or the USB controller on your pc.
I suggest you try different cables, short, good quality etc.
Also try different usb ports from your PC.

You’re much better off using the CCD camera on the slow SCT because of lumiance images having much stronger signal than RGB from a DSLR.
Not sure how fast the 80mm is, but if it’s slower than f/6 i’d stick with the CCD there too.

DSLR on scopes slower than f6 means a lot of noise in your images, especially if you don’t live in the cold north with natural cooling to freezing temps.

I chilled 4/3 or APSC CMOS sensor may be better than a DSLR. I have a QSI CCD and an EOS 60Da. I miss the cooling on the SLR

Well, I appreciate knowing your opinion. Notice that all I am looking for is for those people that image with a DSLR, what is their favorite FSLR body. Thanks.

I have used Nikon, Fuji and Canon. Up to 300 mm focal length, they are all OK but would say that Canon has the best overall support from astro applications and just as importantly, image processing applications of their RAW files. Their high pixel count is unnecessary but not such an issue with the fewer exposures at small imaging scales used on vistas and wide-field shots. Fuji has a gentler deep red cut off, which even picks up SII but it has poor tethered support.
At 300 mm and beyond, then, as I said, it would be better to invest in an inexpensive CMOS astro camera, that you can cool for the longer exposures.

1 Like

Thanks, this was helpful.

Canon, I use a modified 50D and a T4i.

1 Like

I use a Canon 600d (T3i), unguided on an EQ6mount. Here’s an example of one of my images taken with this camera and an IDAS LP filter. Processed with PixInsight.

3 Likes

I have a nikon d5100. Awesome chip with low noise. Older model with an articulated flip screen (highly recommended whatever you decide togo with) so it was cheap to buy second hand. It is my goto camera when doing outreach and when going after comets. You need 2 cables to run it from the computer. I have used it with Backyard nikon and SGP with no issues.

1 Like

Hi, thanks. Why 2 cables? Is it for power and data?

The 5100 has a
4.78µm pixel pitch/size, making it less noisy for how much faster it can gather light. It is perhaps moderate on planetary imaging though, due to the resolving power although not too far from 7200’s

3.92 micron pixels.