Beta 2.5.1.10 clicking HFR takes forever now and almost freezescomputer

It is a bicubic resample. I don’t know how well it will work… it can cause some pretty horrific data loss in some cases.

Ok, I tried a resampled image, I took the FIT and reduced it to 25% 1504x1004.

The HFR originally shows 2.90. The new resampled one shows 0.83. Does that matter?

But when you click the star button how does it show up on the image preview screen in the proper higher resolution?

No. HFR, in the case you are interested in, is a relative measure of quality… it only matters how low it is compared to others.

It shows up on the original unscaled image… that said, all that stuff is just for show (unless you are actually tuning the min star size). You are really just interested in metrics as displayed in image history or in the image stats module.

Well reducing the resolution definitely works. The worst case is now 3 seconds on the compute stick for the large DSLR image. From 30 I’d say that’s an improvement :slight_smile:

FYI: Stars detected originally: 224 with 2.9 HFR and now Stars detected: 112 with 0.83 HFR (at 25% original size)

I tried some tests at the KAF-8300 resolution just to report the times there. They will be at 3326 x 2504. At that resolution on my intel compute stick takes 10 seconds. I just know many people who are using these sticks with CCD and mounting them on their telescope now even on the scope itself to avoid wires from the ground.

They may want that option to resample their image too. (Just trying to think of everyone not just my scenario to be fair)

I’d like to avoid new settings all together. While my testing of this has been limited, I have already seen degradation in results. Reducing image size should really be a necessity and not a convenience or attempt to grab a couple more minutes of imaging time.

I saw stars detected originally: 224 with 2.9 HFR and now Stars detected: 112 with 0.83 HFR (at 25% original size) Is that the degradation you mean?

What was the issue of just cropping the center, are you trying to make sure the entire frame is being part of the calculation? At High focal lengths or smaller sensors you may have much less stars?

Maybe. You might just need to alter min star size.

The minimum star size only applies for the autofocus? It does not get passed to the ‘calculate HFR’ button.

I just looked at the autofocus tab - I’ve never even opened this tab before… There are a number of neat features here, one of which says crop auto focus frames by %. Not only that but earlier in the thread suggestions to bin the autofocus frames were there. So there seems to be a number of ways for users who use autofocus to reduce the size of the images already. Thus not affected by what I am reporting here.

When an image goes to image history none of these settings are applied to that sub for analysis. (No AF binned to reduce - we can’t do that because it’s whatever the light frame was. Nor a crop % - feature only for AF). How can I even test what Image history is doing manually. I saw a thread somewhere that image history only takes 2500px: Sudden slow download times - #6 by Ken - Sequence Generator - Main Sequence Software Is this correct? This seems to be a hidden setting out there. Any variables to affect Image History should be in the Image History Module, default to use the whole image otherwise overridden by whoever is using Image History at that moment.

After all that, there’s the regular HFR button that does it’s own thing. Does anyone other than me currently even using this button?

well , that is still too much time taken after downloading frames during insequence aquisition
it tales almost 15 sec after the frame is downloaded on a 8300camera.
That makes a lot of time lost for an imaging night…