Beta 327 Issues

Possibly not. I’m not sure what the guider is doing from what you say. I’ve had no problem with my guider here at home, until this recent beta version. And no issues in Spain either (using the same set up on two rigs - where we don’t use the beta).

I tried re-installing the non-beta only to discover that all my Equipment profiles were no longer there. So I’ve had to go back to beta for now (I’ll try sorting everything out in the morning). Bit of a disappointing release this one (as suggested by the frequent new versions). But it is ‘beta’ I suppose. And I do have to admit that the parabola is much prettier than the ‘V’.

Log with 3 out of 4 attached (I think - I’ve had to do a number of restarts).

sg_logfile_20191028195008.txt (638.4 KB)

If they were present in 3.0, they are there in some form. See my comment above.

If it’s of any consolation, this issue is in 3.0 also… going back would not have helped.

I did find the issue and will have a fix shortly.

Glad to hear you’ve found the issue. But if, as you say, it’s in the non-beta version too, then I’m very surprised that we haven’t run into it before. (I use ‘We’ because I’m part of an imaging partnership … and because I’m pretentious, of course.) We’re pretty heavy users of SGP - perhaps 2 x 200 nights a year in Spain and 2 x 30 or so nights a year in the UK.

Can you tell us what the issue is?

The gist of it this:

A sequence image starts and occupies the camera. The guider issues a restart message due to guider error. The frame does restart, but in this case, the frame restart triggers auto focus (didn’t look at the trigger). This requires use of the camera, but restart did not properly end the failed exposure. Now we have a deadlock… The sequence is waiting for auto focus to finish and auto focus is waiting for the image to finish before it can start.

I did not validate that the issue is in 3.0 also, this is an assumption based on the fact that auto focus triggers and frame restart have not changed.

Thanks Ken. So if I disable the ‘Restart current frame when guider distance > …’, would that provide a temporary workaround?

I did not test this, but I am almost certain that disabling the function will prevent this issue from happening.

Thanks again, Ken. Certainly, I imaged right through the night without issue after disabling it. And I guess that ‘whatever gets you through the night - s’alright - s’alright’.

1 Like

I just thought I’d say that this feature is still not working well with autofocus on 390. I had another instance when the autofocus curve kept going down (because I’d started too far out). Just as the curve was about to ‘turn the corner’ the focus routine gave up and restarted (albeit from a reasonably sensible new start position). Can’t it be made to continue if the HFR number keeps going down? I’m sure it did that before.

Yes, but not in 3.1. SGPro 4.0 will focus on more intelligent gathering.

OK - that’s a bit disappointing. The ‘old’ autofocus routine didn’t do this. And since the old system performed perfectly well for at least some of us, I wonder if would it be possible to leave the old system in as a ‘legacy’ option for dinosaurs like me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The old system is in 3.0 if you really need it, otherwise these systems are not compatible. Do you, by chance, have “smart focus” disabled?

Smart focus is not disabled. I cannot really stick with 3.0 since this does not work with my Gemini Snapcap.

Ok, if you want to send logs, I will store them away so that we can ensure whatever is causing this issue is covered in 4.0.

Dropbox link. I was running two instances of SGP last night but this was the log that opened in the affected sequence: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5i7yyfum7pm0wx/sg_logfile_20191201174530.log?dl=0