Buy now or wait?

I was going to purchase SGP as my imaging setup is about complete. However after reading the proposed changes to the pricing structure i am concerned that if I buy now and the new version 3 software is released just after the 45 days “grace” then i would pay again. I am one of those people who like to keep their software up to date so would be tempted to buy again for any new features. However i do not really want to do that so early on-Yes after a year or even 6 months.
SO DO I BUY OR WAIT.
i used up my trial period months ago when i looked at it too early.

AIUI if you buy now you will be able to take advantage of the reduced price upgrades so won’t be paying the full price for version 3. And if you find that Version 2.6 does all that you want then you have no need to upgrade.

Also, you have spent a significant amount of money on a mount, an OTA, a guiding system, a focuser and a camera. Maybe a filter wheel and filters as well. That lot will easily come to several thousand dollars. Even if you try to spend as much money as you can on SGP you will find it difficult to spend more than 5% to 10% of the cost of the hardware.

Good software is very time consuming to write, debug and document. SGP isn’t perfect but it’s backed up by a couple of dedicated developers who strive to get it closer to perfection. Occasionally they need to eat.

If you are really short of money then I suggest not getting SGP at all. You can operate perfectly well by using the image acquisition software provide by the camera manufacturer, and monitoring your system, watching what is happening, and changing or adjusting things as needed.

1 Like

Thank you. That is a good answer. I did toy with the idea of using software I already own.However after watching one of my colleagues using it in the field i realised it was an all in one solution for my needs.Another one of my Astro buddies also uses it and also recommended i buy it.
Looks like another pension day purchase.
Thank you again.
It will be mainly used with an NEQ6 Pro. WO GT81, Lakeside focuser, Atik 460EX M, Atik EFW2. So really covers off all of my needs in one package.

1 Like

There is also the free version of SG. Essentially once the trial is out you can keep using it in a functionality limited manner.

Thanks
Jared

What you mention comes to about 3700 ( some USD, some GBP) so the $100 or so that SGP costs comes to less than 4%.

And you haven’t mentioned filters or a guide camera and scope or OAG there’s easily another 1000 there.

Please don’t take this personally but it does illustrate the point that people value hardware far more highly than software.

2 Likes

All the money in the world for hardware amounts to nothing in the field if you are using sub par software.

Everybody told me to hold out on SGP and Pixinsight when I started and to get more experience.

So I did not listen to any of them.

Why would anyone want to start and learn basic software when you know that you are headed to the better software later? What sense does it make to learn twice not to mention unlearning bad habits? …hmmm

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. The cost was never the issue. I agree it looks a great piece of software. The issue to me was that if I bought it now and the version 3 came out in the near future I would leave feel that I should have waited. However sometimes you just have to make a leap of faith.
I am a firm believer of running the full paid versions of software and rarely use the trial versions for the reasons you put so well. However on this occasion I downloaded it months ago to look at as I had not previously heard of it. SGL and a couple of my friends were the ones that brought it to my attention (I was originally going to use an older version 5 of Maxim DL that I had purchased a software license for-however I could not get on with its operation). Various issues with getting my Observatory operational delayed my implementation by about 6 months. These issues have been resolved.
So after all of my waffle I am going to jump in for the version 2 and see what happens when version 3 appears on the scene.
Thank you-your replies have made my mind up.
Regards