Camera disconection

Hi The camera connection to my sx cameras is not as reliable as I would like nd often get stuck / crashed on image
download.
Here is a log from when I was using the frame focus Untitled Document

I do not know if it is a SGP problem or a driver problem.

I do not think its a physical cable problem as when I restart sgp the camera connects no problem ( no need to reboot camera)

Regards
Harry

Hi Harry,

I have same issue with my SX H9.But I reverted back to MaximDL and still have the issue. I’ve tried both 1.2.2.0 & 1.3.7.2 drivers. still have the same issue.

Steve

Hi
I am using the 1.2.2.0 driver ( sx native driver)
I have tried the old AA6 which does not use a ascom driver and all seems well there ?
I have just changed all hubs and cables as well to make sure uts nothing there ?

Bit out of ideas

Harry

@harry

I am not sure. We have not changed anything related to ASCOM camera control in a good while. The SGPro log contains this:

[04/03/17 19:30:06.138][DEBUG] [CP Update Thread] ASCOM Camera: Error in GetCoolerTemp. : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.sxCamera.Imaging0.Camera CCDTemperature Get System.Exception: WriteFile write error=22 (The device does not recognize the command)) numBytesToWrite=8 numBytesWritten=0. (See Inner Exception for details) (System.Exception: WriteFile write error=22 (The device does not recognize the command)) numBytesToWrite=8 numBytesWritten=0.)

I have honestly never seen this error before and I am unsure of what it means. It is possible that the corresponding ASCOM camera logs might help shed light on what’s happening.

Hi
I did not have the logging set on the camera
I will do so and let you have it ??
Camera connection has never been perfect , but it seems to have got worse ??
Maybe nothing to do with SGP !!!

Harry

Hi
I have added the camera logs to the same link
I have asked bret the ascom driver to have a look as well

he see a very long delay in USB land ??

Harry

Hi
sort of bump
I can make sgp fail on the download thing the faster I click on take one etc , from my uneducated mind I think there is too much going on while the image is trying to download and it causes a USB crash ( a comment from sx as well ) .
there is no finger pointing going on here only trying to find the problem.
Other app like Astro art seem to take more time in preping for taking a image , how much is SGP polling of the camera before and during download can this be backed off
Many thanks
Harry

Hi Gents
are we having any thoughts on this

I have been trying the sx ascom driver with astro art and so far I can not get it to fail ???

sorry to keep at this , would be good to make progress

Harry

I can’t really be sure. AstroArt controls ASCOM with a single thread and is not really a viable comparison for what SGPro tries to do. I can work on a version that throttles (and caches) data to reduce camera chatter, but I have no idea if it will work.

Hi
I am a little surprised you are asking the camera to do anything else during image download ( or slightly before and after ) its been known in other packages to cause problems at a min with data corruption .
In my unskilled opinion chatter should be no existent to the camera during this time and even chatter to other equipment should be calm during this period .( pause guiding etc )
I remember the days when even the download progress bar in maxim and AA would corrupt data .
I keep my camera on a separate usb /hub to other equipment trying to keep usb noise to a min as well.

I see from another thread that there are errors during camera chatter as well !!!

Many thanks for the reply

Harry

Looks as if we have identical problems. I had to run away from Maxim DL because it adamantly refused to acknowledge the existence of hot pixels no matter how it was calibrated. I now use PHD2 with few problems. However, SGP curiously tells me that it cannot turn off guiding during image download (!) and I often get SGP hanging during download - but not always. Fault-finding an hour into a session is difficult so I then abandon the session. Using SX M25C and sometimes SX Ultrastar. I have reported various curious error messages such as camera cooling switched off for no obvious reason.

Lawrence Harris

Keep in mind that a client should be able to ask anything of a camera. It is the camera’s responsibility to understand its own limitations and prevent an error state. If a camera does not want a client querying for temp during download, it should buffer the temp and return that until the download is complete. The ASCOM spec clearly states that a driver should be able to handle asynchronous communication. No client can be expected to understand all the various restrictions and constraints of a particular camera.

The other thing to keep in mind is that SGPro has functioned this way for years. This is not something we just implemented.

Hi Ken
I appreciate your point of view and this may be correct , I am just tryin to find a way forward as it is obvious from comments
on this forum thats its a common problem .and others have contacted me to express this as well.
In a world of black and white a little grey might help :slight_smile:
I am a keep supporter off SGP and in no way are demeaning its properties
Regards
Harry

For sure. As I mentioned above, I will be producing a beta that cuts down on chatter. We can see what happens and go from there.

Absolutely… I know you are. The problem with text-based communication is that you can’t see that I am, in no way, frustrated by this conversation. Your point was valid and I thought it warranted an explanation of our reasoning. My responses are often short and can seem terse.

Hi
there are more logs on my webpage , Bret ( sx Mr Ascom ) has been trying new drivers etc , not had much luck though

You might want to have a look if you get a chance to see if you have any words of wisdom to offer

Many thanks

Harry

BTW what happened to a lot of profile pics ?

@harry

Here is a version of SGPro that is much less aggressive when querying the camera. It does not make any attempt to assume it knows how to protect the camera (like pausing certain queries while downloading). This is not an installer, please download, then rename your current “Sequence Generator.exe” file and then drop the new one in that folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oovoktok8l848hv/Sequence%20Generator.exe?dl=0

Not sure. It seems the folks hosting our forum had an issue when they upgraded it to the latest version.

Hi Ken

I will have a go tomorrow as off to the old bed soon :slight_smile:

I believe bret ( Mr sx Ascom ) is going to have a word with you ref some
ideas he might have etc

I will keep the old fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Regards

Harry

Hi Ken

I am sorry to say that their is no improvement

I have put the logs up Untitled Document the last ones

to see if you have any ideas

Harry

@harry

Looks like you did not actually test the new build. The version of the test build was 2.6.0.22

Hi
Oh dear not sure how I did that ???

Moved file as you said and are sure it said 2.6.0.22

Will go check

Harry