Camera frame download hangs on SX46

Hi,
I just got a new camera, the Starlight Express SX46.
I can use this camera fine with the supplied software by Starlight Express (Starlight Vision I believe it is called).

However, when using it via SGP3 the download fails after a few succesful exposures.

From the logs:

[05/01/18 23:05:50.884][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_FRAME_AND_FOCUS message received...
    [05/01/18 23:05:50.888][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM camera: frame and focus...
    [05/01/18 23:05:50.894][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SetAscomNormalSpeed... 
    [05/01/18 23:05:50.894][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Cannot set readout speed, not supported by camera...
    [05/01/18 23:05:56.421][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera Error : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.sxCamera.Imaging1.Camera ImageReady Get System.Exception: Unable to complete get_ImageReady request due to previous error
     (See Inner Exception for details) (System.Exception: Unable to complete get_ImageReady request due to previous error
    )
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 630
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.GetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 664
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 288
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.get_ImageReady() in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 396
       at q7.h9(pi A_0, rh& A_1)
    [05/01/18 23:05:56.422][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera: Attempting to abort exposure...
    [05/01/18 23:05:56.423][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera: Asking camera to abort...
    [05/01/18 23:05:56.427][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera: Error when requesting abort... : CheckDotNetExceptions ASCOM.sxCamera.Imaging1.Camera AbortExposure System.Exception: Abort not possible when camera is in state cameraError (See Inner Exception for details) (System.Exception: Abort not possible when camera is in state cameraError)
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 630
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.MethodTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 678
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 487
       at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Camera.AbortExposure() in c:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Camera.cs:line 85
       at q7.gc()
    [05/01/18 23:05:57.429][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] ASCOM Camera: Asking camera to abort...

At this point the only way to close the application is by forcing it to quit.
Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks for your help,

Roelsg_logfile_20180501224353.txt (274.8 KB)
sg_logfile_20180501230031.txt (128.5 KB)
sg_logfile_20180501230836.txt (182.0 KB)

Seems like a problem with the ASCOM driver? Did you test a different software using the ASCOM driver?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try that out.

1. Shot 30 ‘focus’ frames at 2x2 using APT --> this worked just fine. Note: It was the first time I connected this camera to APT and I had to initialize it (open the Camera ASCOM screen and close it without making any changes to the values presented)
  2. Switched to SGP. Shot about 10 minutes of ‘frame and focus’ shots at 2x2 in SGP. This was where it failed me yesterday. --> worked fine today
  3. Shot 60 flats using SGP (alternating 2x2 binning and 1x1 binning shots). --> This failed after 16 frames. Logs attached. sg_logfile_20180502122725.txt (892.8 KB). Aborting the sequence did not work, however I could close the sequence screen and close the application normally.
  4. Switched back to ATP and shot 60 flats there (at 1x1 and 2x2 binning). This worked fine.
  5. Switched back to SGP to again shoot 60 flats. It failed to download the very first one. Aborting the sequence did not work, however I could close the sequence screen and close the application normally. Logs attached: sg_logfile_20180502171940.txt (402.0 KB)
  6. I directly opened SGP again and restarted the very same test as in point 5. This time it could download 11 frames and failed to download number 12. Logs attached: sg_logfile_20180502173016.txt (442.9 KB)
  7. Switched back to APT to shoot again 60 flats. This time APT did not complete the sequence. It hang at frame 8.
  8. Rebooted my PC as with so much ‘abrupt process terminations’ I thought the driver might need this (wondering how representative step 7 was with APT)
  9. Did start APT to shoot 60 flats. Worked fine.

I did only rebooted my PC once (in step 8) in between those tests. I also did not unplug / replug the USB cable of the camera.
The ASCOM settings are:

sx-ascom-setup

Has this been resolved?

Not completely, yet. It seems to be a problem with the SX46 camera. I received an updated driver which helped a bit. Then I got a bigger 5 amp adapter which improved the camera. The problem was almost gone at this stage, but still happened every now and then. Now I am waiting for a new camera main control board. Hope this completely solves the problem.

I also use a SX-46 camera and can confirm the same problem with SGP3 failing to download after a few successful exposures. Last night while shooting simple 30min dark’s with only the 46 camera and FW connected the same problem occurred after 12 frames. The Previous night while shooting lights with a full compliment of gear connected to SGP 3 the issue was much more frequent. Could it be that SGP is interrupting the download by sending requests out during this fase?

I have heard that the SX Ascom driver and SX 46 work perfectly well with Maxim and other software, This appears to be an SGP only Problem. Having used SGP for many years with SX cameras, I have no alternative but to consider going back to Maxim which for me is not an appealing solution .

In the image below you can see the Ascom driver being used.
sg_logfile_20180823184108.txt (664.4 KB)ascom

That is indeed very similar to what I am experiencing.
I got the new mainboard in my camera and will continue testing tonight. Will let you know if this helps. Since start I changed 3 things after talking with Starlight Xpress:

1. A new driver version (helped to reduce the problem)
  2. A bigger power adapter (5amps)
  3. A new main board for my camera. Results to be evaluated.

To me it seems a problem with the USB communication between my PC and the SX46. This gets worse when more components are involved. (ASCOM but also other USB devices like FW and Lodestar that all use bandwidth).

Hi roelnoort

I too, installed the SX replacement board yesterday and last night photographed a full nights of dark’s without incident. (1800’s) As soon as I have a clear night, I shall try for a set lights with all corresponding gear connected through SGP. Hopefully this hardware update will put the SGP “hanging while downloading” problem to bed once and for all.

For those planing to use the SX46 with SGP: please note that my camera was an early model and I believe that all new SX-46 and 56 camera’s have already had this hardware update factory installed. SX appear to have gone well beyond the call of duty to implement this update, since it was only a problem with SGP and not other popular software.

Hi
Just to add there is a new ASCOM driver available as well that is needed , Its not on Daddog web page yet
but will ask Bret to put it up .
the latest ver is v6.2.1.18212 critical for sx 46 / 56 and H18 users If you have a older version please upgrade

Cheers

Harry Page