Can not connect to Nikon D800

Description

<Hi, I cannot connect SGP with my Nikon D800 DSLR using “Nikon” as camera alternative in the “Equipment” section of my sequences. The camera is physically connected via an USB3 cable to my laptop which is running Windows 10 Pro, Ver 1909. When clicking the connect icon nothing happens for about 10s, then two error messages are displayed, slightly different in wording but both saying that SGP can not connect to Nikon camera.

I have tried with different USB ports of the computer and with settings both “Auto detect” and “D800” for the camera in SGB, with the same, negative, result.

The camera is fully visible in and files can be copied from Windows file manager when connected this way. I can also connect to and control the camera from e.g. digiCam Control, so I would say that Windows settings and general USB connectivity are OK, but something is not working in the interface towards SGP.

I appreciate any ideas for a solution.

Yours,
Rolf J, Huddinge, Sweden>

Aprox time of issue: <13.00 UTC February 2028>

Link to Logs

Useful Info

Ver: 3.1.0.454
.NET: 4.8

missing an Ascom\Native driver ??

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but to my understanding there is no Ascom driver involved in communication with the Nikon DSLR:s when connected to SGP. I can also mention that I have actually been able to connect with the camera from SGP in exactly this configuration about once in about 25 attempts, but right now I am not able to repeat that success.

If you are getting an intermittent connection, then I’d check the cable (shorter the better) and use a USB 2 port instead of USB 3 and that the, USB speed is not set too high…

Make sure you’ve removed the SD card from the camera. One of the error messages is likely informing you to do that if you haven’t.

Thanks,
Jared

Hi Jared,
Thank you for the solution. The problem was solved by removing the CF card also in the camera. Thanks!

Yours,
Rolf J