Canon 6D Mirror Settle does not work (2.4.2.9)

It’s almost 2 months since the last update here. Has there been any progress? Did you get a 6D? I don’t think either the lock-up or live view problems are fatal flaws, but a fairly major inconvenience.

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, we have a 6D. Unfortunately we haven’t had time to look into this as there have been other things going on that are higher priority.

Also I find the 2 month remark somewhat funny. We typically have a resolution time of days but unfortunately not everything can be that fast. Even at 2 months I still think we’re beating others that have a multi year time to release. Part of me wonders if we’re too fast to resolve issues and have created this expectation.

Please don’t look too much into these remarks, I honestly mean nothing by them. I do realize that these issues are annoying and that you just want them resolved. I have looked into the issues with the 6D but ran into other problems with the canon sdk and didn’t make it far. I hope to resolve them soon, but I don’t have an ETA.

Thanks
Jared

1 Like

2.5.0.0 beta fixed the issue on my Canon 60D. Perhaps it also fixed the 6D?

Some improvements were certainly made in 2.5. Is live view and mirror lock working for you?

Jared

1 Like

I just tried 2.5 with my 6D. Mirror lock-up seems to be working. Live view behavior is different, but still not working. As was reported by someone else, when I click “Start” in Frame & Focus it raises the mirror, opens the shutter, and starts a download. But the download never completes. While in this state, pressing the Start/Stop button on the camera turns on the display on the camera, so it really is in live view mode, but the image never gets to the computer.

Greg

I had the same experience with the 2.4… release I downloaded a month ago to trail with my 550D. It would only take 1 sec exposures if I set the camera settle to anything other than “0” (with Mup and Bulb set on camera). I recently downloaded the 2.5…11 beta and tried it again, and it still fails to take the correct exposure with camera settle set to >0.

Larry

What exposure length are you attempting to take? I had thought that issue was resolved. If you’re attempting to take very short exposures (less than a second) I could see this being an issue as mirror lock uses bulb mode to activate the shutter which is less precise than using the internal shutter timer in the camera.

Jared

180-200sec exposures. Last night was my first experience with 2.5.11 and I tested it first with a couple of 180sec exposures without shutter delay and everything worked perfectly. I added the shutter delay, and I got the 1 sec exposure. Returned shutter delay to “0” and it worked perfectly again.

I will try again tonight and double check the camera settings, and download the actual output and confirm actual duration in LR (as I did when using the 2.4… build.)

Larry

Ok, I misunderstood. There was previously an issue where the mirror up time was subtracted from the frame time. So if you had a 5 second mirror settle and 8 second exposure you’d only get a 3 second exposure.

I’ll try and look into these 6D issues this weekend.

Thanks,
Jared

Jared,

I tested it again last night after confirming the camera was set to enable Mup and on Bulb. A 10 sec exposure with no shutter delay worked perfectly and Lightroom reports is as a 10 sec exposure. I changed shutter delay to 3 seconds and tried it again and got a 1 sec exposure, confirmed in LR.

Canon 550D and 2.5…11 beta.

Larry

This has been addressed and will be out in the next beta of 2.5. For cameras that have a bulb mode you must be in bulb mode for the mirror lock to work.

I tested against my 6D and 60D, both were successful but this hasn’t been tested against any other canon cameras. it does have the potential to break the mirror lock functionality on other canons. I’ll be looking forward to hearing how this works with others.

Thanks,
Jared

I just tried SGP for the first time with my Canon 6D and have the same issue with mirror lock up and live view. I cant get an image to show up.

I know that this was an old thread, but this looks like exactly what I am seeing. One possibility is that I have newer firmware. I cant back rev to older firmware. I also have a T5i that I will try and see if that camera has the same problem or not. That will eliminate a lot of possible issues.

Hi. I have a Canon 6D so if you tell me what firmware version you have in the camera I will check my firmware version and see if see if I have the same problem.
Regards,
Bob