Canon 6D / T1i - getting error EDS_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE

Hi folks,
I’m trying to use a Canon 6D for the first time with SGP (2.6.0.24). Getting a number of errors. Looking for advice.

First errors were resolved once I realized camera needed to be in Bulb mode. However some errors persist.

I am able to successfully take frame and focus images. And have also completed a couple autofocus and platesolve routines. One time I started to get errors with autofocus and resolved by disconnecting and then reconnecting the 6D in the Sequencer window.

However, I have not been able to take a regular image. Get an error message each time. I thought I had saved a screen shot but now can’t find it. Plus I lost the SGP log file. Yes - my fail x 2 !

Concurrent to the Canon camera error messages I also seem to get other usb-related problems (ie. focuser disconnects etc.). I suspect, based on vague memory of past SGP posts, that the issue is with larger data loads of the 6D camera putting stress on usb channels? Tried searching but couldn’t find specific post.

The rig setup is the same except using different focuser (GCUSB nStep instead of Microtouch) and Canon 6D instead of Atik 460 (Atik is in the shop due to a temp reporting problem).

Going to try again tomorrow night (if forecast is real) but in the meantime would appreciate any suggestions?

DaveNL

Cloudy tonight so I turned off autofocus and PHD2 to see if I could still trigger error message. When I initiated a sequence, still get errors. Specifically this one:

Found this thread with same error message. But unfortunately when I changed save folder to a C: drive location, I continue to get the same error message (plus being forced to use C: drive would be a bummer):

Here is excerpt from log. I can post whole log if that would help.

[10-16-17 22:55:33.982][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] SGM_CAMERA_CAPTURE message received…
[10-16-17 22:55:34.008][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Canon: Setting ISO to: 3200
[10-16-17 22:55:34.008][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Canon: ISO look val: 112
[10-16-17 22:55:34.023][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Canon: Exposing for 120 seconds…
[10-16-17 22:55:34.435][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Handling monitoring event (Email 1, TimedError): (6888_test_dslr) Failure while integrating M33; Event 1; Frame 1 for 120s. Image has not downloaded in alloted time period.
[10-16-17 22:55:34.436][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] EventMarker 13 - t:M33 (0); e:0; f:0; o:
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property 40A, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property B, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property 40A, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property B, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property 402, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property 402, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:34.449][DEBUG] [Main Thread] Canon: PropertyEventHandler: event 101, property 100, parameter 0,
[10-16-17 22:55:36.532][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Canon: Error in CameraCommand_ShutterButton (1) Error: EDS_ERR_TAKE_PICTURE_CARD_NG
[10-16-17 22:55:36.532][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Error while attempting to capture frame…
[10-16-17 22:55:36.534][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Adding sequence level notification: Error attempting to capture image (see logs for more information).
[10-16-17 22:55:36.535][DEBUG] [Camera Thread] Handling monitoring event (Email 1, Warning): (6888_test_dslr) Error attempting to capture image (see logs for more information).
[10-16-17 22:55:36.537][DEBUG] [Sequence Thread] Run event requested sequence abort…

Camera is definitely in “Bulb” mode. Not sure where to find Canon log file.

Any suggestions appreciated.

DaveNL

OK - taking another stab at this … tried scouring past forum posts on Canon problems …

Have tried:

• different/new usb cables
  • battery and DC supplied power
  • setting mirror lock on and off
  • setting mirror settle time 0 or 1 sec
  • saving to network drive and C: drive
  • tried both a 6D and a T1i
  • closing BYEOS
  • power cycle PC

In all instances, it will throw up the error as soon as it attempts to start the first image capture. On fresh restart (or power cycle of camera), it will first throw up a “EDS_ERR_TAKE_PICTURE_CARD_NG”. If I then open and close the memory card door on the camera, and try kicking off sequence again, will get a “EDS_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE”.

I’m on Windows 10 (latest updates) and 2.6.0.24.

I’m out of ideas … starting to think that SGP just isn’t stable with Canon DSLR’s. If there is anything else I can try, I’m open to suggestions.

DaveNL

Admittedly you want to save your images to your computer but I see that “TAKE_PICTURE_CARD_NG” and wonder if that means that your SD card is bad. (NG=no good??)

Do you have another card to try in the camera?

I Googled “EDS_ERR_TAKE_PICTURE_CARD_NG” (with the quotes) and somebody had the same problem with ByEOS>>>Canon EOS 60Da imaging connection error - BackyardEOS - O'Telescope

Google shows other possibilities most related to the memory card or transfer between the camera and computer
including: BYOES or DSLR ERROR. Please help! - DSLR, Mirrorless & General-Purpose Digital Camera DSO Imaging - Cloudy Nights

Thanks Steve - appreciate the response.

I think the ‘Card’ error is a bit of a red herring. I’ve tried using different SD cards which have space and which I know are compatible. However I get the same message regardless - even if there is no SD card.

For instance, after your suggestion I tried a different card. First time SGP tried taking a sequence picture, it gave the “CARD_NG” error. Then I opened and then closed the SD Card door (didn’t touch the card) - next attempted sequence image gave the “INVALID_HANDLE” message.

As you say - it shouldn’t be looking to store on the camera’s memory card anyway! And I’m not even sure how one would configure SGP to store on the memory card anyway.

I’ll also point out that I am able to take an individual frame-and-focus image. And can complete plate solve (PS2) and autofocus routines without problem.

Here is excerpt from log:
sg_logfile_canon_error.txt (155.7 KB)

DaveNL

Hi Dave,

you have:

Just for a test, put that on a local drive (and also the drive for the Autofocus Pack). The first link given by Steve shows the same behaviour with ByEOS.

Regards,
Horia

Hi Horia,
Thanks for responding!

Yes - I had put the image storage directory back to my LAN drive last night and used SGP with my CCD camera. Previous tests storing to C: drive with the DSLR did not make any difference.

But figured I would try again based on your suggestion (plus I had not tried changing the Autofocus storage to C: drive before). Also this time changed the Profile directory to C:. Unfortunately, it did not make any difference - get same messages. Updated log file attached.

sg_logfile_20171105155012.txt (95.8 KB)

DaveNL

Hi Dave,

somehow the change did not propagate to the actual sequence:

Maybe “apply profile to sequece” will do it. Anyway, please also have a look at the setting for the actual sequence:

Regards,
Horia

Hmmm, that seems odd. Especially since it forces you to close and reopen SGP when you change the profile location. But I wasn’t really paying attention to the Target-specific setting.

I’ve run out of time today but I’ll need to revisit this with a closer eye to propagation of the change. Thanks again for your input!

DaveNL

@Horia - thanks!

That has resolved my issue. Shame on me - I’ve been using SGP long enough, I should have picked up on the propagation issue of general/profile options making there way to sequence settings.

So this means that all Canon DSLR/SGP users are forced to store their images to a local drive? This is an annoyance. Any way around this? Is this a Canon driver issue?

Dave