Canon EOS mirror lockup requirement?

I am new to SGP. I currently am just trying out the trial version. I am working out the kinks with my first goto mount and a 30 year old C8 scope and my Canon 5D Mark III.

When I try to do a simple focus shot using SGP I get a very dim image and I hear two clicks from the camera about 1 second apart even though I specified a 10 second exposure. I get the same two clicks from the camera about 1 second apart even if I specified a 30 second exposure. SGP does wait the 30 seconds and then downloads the image. But it was only a 1 second exposure.

So, I searched this forum for similar issues and it pointed me to the Mirror Lock-up setting in my camera. So, I set that in my camera and now it works as expected.

I also reviewed the SGP Help pages for DSLR setup and found that I had set the Mirror Settle Time to 1 second in SGP. I know the Help page says “This option must also be enabled in the camera.” But, I did not relate that to the Mirror Lockup setting in my camera.

So, if the SGP Mirror Settle Time is non-zero, then the Mirror Lockup setting in your camera must be enabled.

This seems logical to me now, but it wasn’t clear to me on my first read of the Help Page.

Could SGP query my camera to verify that its Mirror Lockup feature is enabled when needed? This would have been helpful to me.

Thank You,

Greg

Sadly Canon does not make this very simple. The mirror lockup is handled differently for almost every model of camera.

Thank you,
Jared