Celestron CGX/SGP

can any one tell if SGP is compatible with CGX mount if so how to connect.

Should be ok if you have the ASCOM driver for the mount.

Nice mount.

I don’t have the new CGX, but I have an older CGEM-DX, and I presume the connections will be the same.

Physical connections:
I use a Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB to connect the AUX port to the computer.
I use the USB to serial connection that came with the mount to connect the Hand Controller to the computer.

Logical Connections:
I use the latest ASCOM Platform and Celestron ASCOM driver.
I use the POTH HUB device in ASCOM so that PHD2 and SGP can both talk to the mount.
In PHD2 I use the GPUSB as the “Mount”, and the POTH Hub as the “AUX Mount.” (PHD2 sends guide pulses to the GPUSB, and reads pointing information from the POTH Hub.)

I hope that helps.

Karl

Thank you Karl for your help,i will give it a try.

Best of luck!

I did not say, explicitly, though jimdrever did: With ASCOM your mount, (any mount, with ASCOM), is compatible with SGP.

Also, as an aside, I can tell you that with my CGEM-DX, which is similar to your mount, if not quite as good, if I can get a good polar alignment, and the seeing is good, the thing guides well enough to get 15 minute exposures and achieves round stars, with a 910mm scope. Neither yours nor mine are $10,000 mounts, but you can still get good results. (And, we’ve got a virtual $8,000 to spend on other bits of kit. Wheee!)

I’ve heard that you can build your own GPUSB-type device, but, I suspect you’ll need to discount your own time fairly steeply in order to make that make economic sense.

Karl

Karl,does the computer have to be connected to the handset or can it be connected to the aux port on the mount.
Sean.

Sean,

I am not qualified to say how things have to be… but, I’m inclined to to say “yes”, it has to be that the computer connects to the handset, because that is how the computer can get from the mount information about where it is pointing. I think all it can do with the AUX port is send guide pulses. (I am perfectly willing to be wrong about that.)

An alternative setup would be to have the computer connected to the handset, and have your guide camera’s guide port connected to the AUX port on the mount… you could skip the GPUSB… if you have a guide camera that has a guide pulse port. The handset is where all the “brains” for the mount live. In the DX, there’s some circuitry in the mount itself, but no computing resources; I presume the CGX is the same.

Anyway, there are few rules against experimenting. You can test much of that out during the day when there’s only that one bright star showing.

Karl