Celestron Nightscape CCD failing to connect

When trying to connect to a Celestron Nightscape I get the connection error message:

“Error connecting to Celestron Nightscape! Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7AD5DC36-3071-4C1E-A08D-F76450B10252} failed due to the following error: 8007007e The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).”

The camera is connecting fine with MaximDL on the same computer.

Using a Windows 10 Enterprise OS with Intel i3 on Eagle S (Primalus Labs computer)

Can you connect to the camera using ASCOM? I am not sure what MaximDL is using for the Nightscape, but if it’s native (non-ASCOM) the method is entirely different. The errors you are posting are Windows COM errors that we usually see when dealing with misbehaving ASCOM setups.

Ken:

MaximDL uses the ASCOM driver. I have reinstalled the ASCOM platform from the ASCOM web site and reinstalled the Nightscape ASCOM driver.

Maxim connects OK. ASCOM profile manager sees Nightscape OK. Windows Device Manager sees Nightscape OK.

SGP connects OK to mount and focuser.

SGP still fails to connect to Nightscape reporting same error message as before.

Dean

Problem solved:

Although MaximDL and SGP both control the Nightscape through the ASCOM driver they appear to do so in a different way. I suspect Maxim comes with the driver pre-bundled.

For SGP, I downloaded the ASCOM driver from the Celestron Web-Site. This version of the driver points to the AstroFX folder even though I not installed AstroFX on the PC. The only solution was to also install AstroFX from Celestron.

Finally, I had to make sure that the NightscapeASCOM.dll file and BCGCB632.dll files were within the AscomFX folder. Once this was done, SGP could locate the Nightscape driver and all works fine.

I am sure that there must be a neater way to achieve the same result but this worked.

Dean