CEM60 Mount and SGP setting for Auto Meridian Flip

I have had auto-meridian flip working on my CEM60 mount in the past. However, for some reason it is no longer working. I am running SGP 2.6.25 and the latest iOptron firmware and ASCOM software. The last time I attempted an auto-meridian flip, SGP did the plate solve and sent a command to the mount. I heard the mount make a slight movement but it did not move to the other side of the pier. I seemed like the CEM60 thought it was being told to go to the object but it just did a slew to the non-centered location because the CEM60 thought the object had not yet passed the 1 degree position I had specified in the hand controller. Before I submit logs I would like to try the setting being used by those of you using CEM60 mounts that are having successful meridian flips.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred,
Turn off auto Meridian flip on the CEM60 and let SGPro handle. …Bruce

1 Like

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip. I will try that on my next time out. Clear skies have been few and far between so far this summer. Only a full Moon guarantees that we will have clear skies. Just to clarify, do I change the setting in the hand controller to “stop tracking” as the action when it reaches the Meridian?

Thanks,

Fred

No you keep tracking on, and turn off the meridian flip. Then in the equipment profile turn on auto meridian flip… Bruce

Regards
Bruce Morrell

www.astrofactors.com

www.springcreekacademy.com

SpringCreekObservatory

214-557-5979

For safety reasons, I suggest that you not turn off the flip in the mount. Rather set the flip time (or position) in the mount to a value beyond where SGP is going to flip. Depending on how you have SGP set up that extra time could be something like exposure time + 5 minutes. You want SGP to control the flip but if that fails you want the mount to save itself. Rather than setting a flip time in the mount you can also have the mount stop tracking after the safety time or position. All depends on what the mount can do.