Confused Why Sequence Halted Without Attempting Recovery

Greetings!

Here is the log of my sequence from last night. I was surprised to find this morning that no images were taken from my second target, however I did have recovery mode set. I see that the slew, plate solve, auto center took place at around [2016-08-19 01:33:58]. plate_solve_image.fit was saved.

This is followed by some communication with PHD2 where its status was found to be STOPPED (as it should be at this point)

Then at [2016-08-19 01:38:13] the telescope thread reports the solver frame is being aborted due to a time out. The auto center is aborted. The sequence thread now wants to go to the next event, which is a calibration event. The next event in the sequence is a series of dark frames.

I had everything checked to attempt recovery, and so I’m confused why SGP never tried to recover this event and instead immediately skipped to the next one.

Specifically, under Sequence Generator Options, Sequence Settings tab, I have checked the following:

Attempt to automatically recover the sequence
Attempt recovery every 10 min for 90 min

Sequence actions:
Capture calibration frames even if the sequence fails to complete

How do these two settings work together? Does having them both checked introduce a conflict? Shouldn’t the recovery be attempted first before aborting all light frames and then checking for calibration frames in the sequence?

Thank you for your help with this.

Best Regards,
Ben

sg_logfile_20160818194312.zip (98.1 KB)

UPDATE: I have had a rare long stretch of clear nights and have been steadily imaging using SGP. The issue I reported in this thread has not repeated itself, however I would still very much like to know what should happen under these circumstances. Is there a need for me to adjust some settings, does SGP require a minor update to avoid this situation, or is this some kind of anomalous unexplained one-time event? I hope my log file (attached to my original post) will help determine this.

The good news is that SGP has been working very well for me other than this one issue that happened only on one night. I’ve been pleased to wake up in the morning with my equipment patiently waiting for me: the mount is parked, the camera has stopped TEC and is at ambient temperature, PHD2 has stopped guiding and has disconnected from mount and guide camera. There is evidence of several successful autofocus sessions during the night as the temperature dropped, and from time to time I see there has been successful recovery usually from losing a guide star.

I am impressed with SGP’s ability to juggle all this activity and I look forward to its continued advancement!

Best Regards,
Ben

1 Like

I’m not 100% certain, but it is very likely that the issue identified here is the same as yours:

In terms of recovery, SGPro does not attempt it when the sequence error is related to general camera functionality. The error, in your case, was not real, but was still perceived as a camera error.