Correcting a rotation

Okay I messed up. I shot my Ha data the other night and shot my OIII data a week later. Apparently I did not put the camera back in the right angle to match the Ha data and its off by 18.05

Since I don’t have a rotator and have not tried to do it manually I want to be sure before I ruin a nights shooting.

Am I right to assume that I can plate solve the Ha shots (which is the framing I want) and then write down the angle it solves it to.

Then when I am ready to image it again I would use that image as the target image, and input the angle I want in the box at the bottom under “other” for angle.

So when I tell the target to slew and center on it, will it come up at some point and tell me to manually rotate the camera to achieve the angle I want? Or is there some other way to do this?

Not answering your question, but depending on your image processing software, you can combine the two sets of images even though they are rotated. The combined stack will need to be cropped to eliminate the areas that do not overlap.

Yeah I know. I use Pixinsight but the crop is to much. Id lose way too much of what I wanted. It will be easier to just reshoot it.

Thanks for the answer though. Who knows maybe I can pull the center of the nebula out and use it. I shot the Tulip Nebula

Open your sequence, open an image from the rotation you want to use, right click and plate solve the image, choose to use the solve result for the current sequence and save the sequence.

Open your equipment profile, go to Other and select the manual rotator, go to bed Plate Solve and set the desired rotator error (I find 2 or 3 degrees to be okay for me) save your profile.

Open your sequence, choose File, Apply Profile to Sequence and choose the profile you just changed and save it again. Click the cog next to your target in your sequence, tick Rotate Camera to, and set the angle that you got from your image.

Next time you run the sequence it’ll solve and then pause and tell you how much to rotate the camera and in which direction, it repeats until you get it right.

BR
Ian

That’s what I needed. Thank you very much. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I appreciate it.

Sean

you could also use a free app that shows you angles on a smart phone …lay the phone against the side of the camera and make the correction in one try.

Wow had not heard of that. Whats the name of the APP