Debayer function to convert the monochrome FITS to color, and then a color adjust or color balance function

Title says it all. More and more of us are moving to OSC. Including myself just went from asi1600mm-cool to a QHY 168-C & we want to at least see a preview. I am sure you should be able to generate a preview in color and still preserver a fits file for processing latter on.

Can this be done please.

All competitors seem to have this including nebulosity which i own.

If both cant be accomplished then give us a choice to preview and save in tiff. Its our loss not yours.

2 Likes

Nebulosity, Sharpcap, and many other all have a Debayer preview that does not effect the final product. Why do i need to use other software when even the SkyX is intending to implement this feature?. That comes right out of the Bisque brothers mouths.

It is time to give us this preview as many of us have requested it. Other then this shortcoming SG pro is amazing.

Sincerely,

Anthony

1 Like

Yes, please. I would also appreciate a color preview with either my D810a Nikon or my ASI071.

Thanks for the consideration,
James

I would also like this added I use one-shot color a lot,

Wanted this for 2 years. and yes OSC is growing exponentiallyā€¦ especially with broadcasting. I had a ASI071 and recently dropped 4K on a ASI094 full frame.
Iā€™m reduced to using SHARPCAP! to see debayered image and standing in DSS live.

I need SGPā€™s features and control for my obsey - but needs support for OSC.
the ASI294Mc is extremely popular.!

Here is a frame and focus sub (120 seconds). in SGP. But I had to bring it into PI to convert to post online. Heck the cheap and free programs offer debayer preview. PLEASE ADD IT.

49385085_10215786420086299_8600859850634690560_o|800x534

1 Like

Iā€™m puzzled. What is a color preview of a single uncalibrated sub going to tell you? You are going to get a few colored dots and with a screen stretch a noisy, off color result, tinted by LP or an LPF.
The preview screen in an image acquisition program is for framing and exposure checking. Color balance is irrelevant and exposure checking is best done by looking at numbers, not a screen. Same goes for image processing. Numbers never lie but a screen can.

FWIW, I predict the current popularity of OSC, fueled by inexpensive CMOS chips, will recede as soon as unfiltered chips reach the market. Unless you are one of the lucky few that does not have LP, mono cameras with separate filters have greater flexibility and efficiency, especially for NB.

What it tells me? It gives me instant gratification of what Iā€™m doing. As well it shows people Iā€™m broadcasting to a more final version of the shot. I also am stacking in DSS LIVE so they see the stack as each sub comes in. In DSS live I can click ā€œSAVE PHOTOā€ and it will save the stack as is. (I rarely calibrate even my mono filtered subs) The cameras these days do a wonderful job on very nice natural color.

This is ONE FRAME AND FOCUS sub 120 seconds OSC displayed in DSS LIVE after being shot with SGP. You tell me, what does this tell you?

1 Like

HOWEVER I found out that I can debayer and stack SGP subs in DSS LIVE so the request is now moot. This is a DSS LIVE stack of 8 frame and focus subs from SGP of various lengths from 10 seconds to 120 seconds. A total of around 8 minutes. Displayed LIVE to viewers no calibration frames or tweaks. SAVED from DSS LIVE.

• then later added the star busts / sharpened, downsized to post online. Though tweaking was not necessary. Again no calibration frames.

Well, here goes:

• It tells me the framing - but so does any monochrome image.
  • It tells me the nebula is predominantly red, but so does any rudimentary Internet or planetarium search.
  • It also tells me that you have some strange irregularities on focus or aberrations across the frame - but so does a monochrome image.
  • What it does not tell me in this stretched state is if the exposure is clipped; I would return to the histogram and choose selective parts of the nebula (like the area near the trapezium) with the cursor to confirm the exposure valuesā€¦ again, I would do that on a monochrome image just as easy as here and then devise the exposure plan accordingly.
    The result of number-based evaluation is evident:

Iā€™m puzzled. Just got the software and I just kept looking for that debayer option so that I can see how its looking but nopeā€¦ not there. whatā€™s with that? Also, certainly there must be the option to take pictures in RGB24 no? Am I missing something? I end up going in Pixinsight while running my sequence to stretch and debayer just to get an idea on the noise and coloursā€¦ Itā€™s weird. please, fix this now.

1 Like

Come on guys we will pay for this module we are not asking for free! Lets get with the trends or get left behindā€¦ AKA RASA OSC.

This would be great. When doing outreaches as part of our Astro club, it is amazing to show a Debayered preview to interested peopleā€¦ great way to get more people interested.

Also, being able to see just gives you that satisfaction. This will be a great feaure of this already amazing product!

Buzz,
working with refractors and lightpollution filters, you have find the right focus spot. Chromatic aberration produces red and cyan coloured rings around the stars intra- and extrafocally. You canā€™t see the coloured rings, if you donā€™t have a debayered preview. HFR wonā€™t help you much with that. And yes, I do focus manually.

@chriseq6 You raise a good point, though the assertion that HFR does not find optimum focus in the presence of CA is interesting.
Each of the imaging applications have an emphasis in one region or other. Sometimes it is a case of choosing the right tool for the job. SGP is clearly aimed at those taking sequences, with an emphasis on automation. It clearly is a compromise in your case to focus manually with SGP, since you lose some of the automation features. It would be better still if you had some form of liveview or rapid frame screen to enable you to focus manually.

If it was unnecessary ALL of the other capture programs wouldnā€™t offer it. Heck even ASIair has a debayer option. Iā€™m Loving the ASIair. The other night I hopped from cluster to cluster taking a few subs of each and it was great fun to see a final looking image instantly.

YOU CAN DO THAT - the rest of us want to debayer on the fly. If you donā€™t want it - donā€™t knock it. I bet MOST do.
But donā€™t care DDS live does it from my observatory subs and Asiair does it on my portable.
Is SGP is going to be stagnant - so be it.

I bet they donā€™t. Color and mono CCDs have been around for years but most purchase mono ones, on account of their advantages in light polluted areas (and narrowband QE). Color CMOS are popular at the moment, but as soon as the mono versions become more readily available, I would anticipate a similar color/mono user ratio as CCDs. In that case, color workers will be in the minority (again).

BTW, I have not ā€˜knockedā€™ anything, merely pointed out that Sequence Generator Pro, as its title suggests, is for taking sequences and responded in an objective way to your provocative notesā€¦ and that is after helping you several times when you were starting out. This is a hobby, lots of software out there that does different things better. It is sometimes better to switch as appropriate rather than making a behemoth application.

2 Likes

I have mono - I prefer mono, but being in many facebook groups with newbs to the hobby - OSC is growing with newbs. ASI294 specifically. Tired of all the post processing (which I still prefer if I want the best I can achieve) Iā€™ve aquired a 094 and traded in the time and effort for fun and personal quick satisfaction again. Serious people will always want mono - but the huge influx of people to the hobby are going color. SGP is not in that market and so, losing a lot of sales. (If thatā€™s a concern). MAny people write their software and offer it for sale simply as a courtesy and not for profit.

I use SGP and Kstar/Ekos in the dome. I use a ASIair for fun. Iā€™m still searching for software that is perfect. Kstars/Ekos is close. (but crashes to often) and is quite young for what it can do. (needs a few years of polish I think). SGP is nice, but again no polish. Can do what it does, canā€™t do what most of us wish it could. = )

ASIair app debayers on the fly. It was great fun to shoot the other night and see my exposures presented as I will be sharing them. I shot a 90 second exposure and this appeared on my ipad seconds later. I saved the fit file and could tweak it later if desired. Another HUGE thing is broadcasting live. MANY people are into that and shoot color and want debayering right away because they have have 12-20 people watching the shooting session and they want to see the ooooh and ahhhh as each sub is acquired. I prefer mono and nb - but color has really brought back the fun that I first felt when I started in this.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61709390_10216814116458066_7205025303687593984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQl3kT4ufucmhBV-suBhCFvIv42H_AuND9WI1aQtXopTxAwQ5iQyPXsGMia7Guo6_KM&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=c5c0bf5e29a6faf1e3d1daf072924759&oe=5D5D7D0A

1 Like

nope itā€™s not jaw dropping but I was at my grand sons (daughters) house - plunked it in the yard and 90 seconds later I could share this with them. Sure beats my jaw dropping shots that take 3 nights and 30 hours shooting and another 6 hours post processing. = )

I believe SGP developers commented on this at some point and regarded it in some elitist fashion as ā€œunprofessionalā€ - I do hope they change that (or if that is not the case, please chime in for the real reason). I still use SGP but have been thinking of switching to something else that allows such basic things as a black/red night mode and debayer preview. I certainly wonā€™t pay for the new upgraded version until they have these two things. I will immediately if they do add them though.