Default Sequence at Startup Request

Hi Gents,
I would ask that SGPro not build a default sequence at start up. Presently I must start the software and then go to “File” or “Folder” to find the sequence I plan to use. If I need to create a new sequence, there is ample capability in “File” to do that.
Alternatively, if I could start SGPro by clicking on an existing sequence and have that sequence present itself at start up, then that would be acceptable also. However, none of the existing sequences do anything but bring up the default version when double clicked.
My reason for the request is that on those unfortunate nights when nothing is working, restarting SGPro is common. It may be just me, but I often forget to select the desired sequence and inadvertently do all of my connections on the default sequence. SGPro is not very tolerant of my then opening the desired sequence.
I understand that the “guidelines” for the request category is to not criticize a suggestion. However, I would welcome any comments on why we must or should have the default sequence at start up.
Thanks,
Mark

You can set the number of events under options, just set that to “1”

Having said that, it might be nice to allow the user to have SGP load a default sequence of their choice on start.

Thanks,

But you misunderstood my point. Your final comment speaks to what I had asked about.
Apologies for not being clear.

Mark

OK, what you desribe is actually something I pointed out in a thread quite some time ago and has not been addressed, even in the beta, as far as I know:

Double clicking on plan loads default

Is that what you are referring to?

Basically, it does not seem to do what files normally do in Windows, open that file in the default program.

That is different from what the default plan would be, when you start SGP from the program menu.

Bottom line, I think I would like to see both as features:

1. Double clicking an SGP plan in Windows Explorer starts SGP and loads that plan (standard Windows behavior).

2. If SGP is started from the program menu, add the ability to load (start with) a plan of the user’s choosing (that they have chosen somewhere in SGP setup).

This is already implemented and should be working. A post that @Andy made last night indicates that this is working:
http://191.234.52.100/t/2-4-beta-10-erroneous-warning-about-autoguider-when-starting-sequence/1045/4?u=ken

Actually Ken I have never been able to double click on a sequence file (*.sgf) and have the actual sequence open. It opens SGP but just loads the defaults. Then I still have to open the sequence from within SGP.

This is a non issue for me so I never pursued it. Perhaps I should mention this is the case with my desktop obs computer and my laptop computer, both running Win7 64bit.

Yes. Here is what happens (beta 10):

double click on the Rosette .sgf file in explorer:

Result:

Select recent sequence (same Rosette .sgf file) from SGP menu:

Result:

The latter also happens if you use “open sequence” from the file menu, of course. So basically it works fine from SGP but not from Windows.

Of course this is a separate issue/request from the ability to create and specify a custom default sequence.

Ok thanks. I found the issue. It only occurs if your sequence names have space characters in them. Most developers do not use spaces for things like file names (habit) so folks like me @Jared and @Andy never saw this issue. It will be fixed in the next release.

1 Like

Thanks.

Interesting, just a difference in the way coders are used to naming things compared to average users.

It does illustrate the value of screenshots when one posts a problem to the forum.

Hmm, my sequence files never have spaces…I’ll check if it’s fixed for me in the next release.

Wow, Beta 11 already has that fix! Must be some sort of speed record!

FYI, I checked Beta 11 and yes, double clicking on a sequence file (with spaces)
does open that sequence.

Thanks!

Exactly!!

Thanks Jared and Ken,

Mark

Actually, the fix was dirt simple and it was just concidence… beta 11 was coming out tonight either way… but thatnks for the compliments :wink:

Yep, the fix worked for me too in beta 11.

Archiving. Default sequence can be opened by double clicking any SGF file icon you please.

Revisiting the issue of start up sequence - would it be possible for an option for “last active sequence loads on start up” please?

I suspect most of us are running multi target sequences across many nights. It would be very civilised if you could just restart SGP and be back exactly where you were on the previous night’s imaging.

(Surely it would be the exception to want to start with a blank sequence and rebuild a new set of targets?)

p.s. Hadn’t thought to start SGP from a sequence - above discussion was helpful, but still think it would be intuitive to have a “re-open last sequence” option on start up.

Hi Rob,
I’ve recommended the following approach previously. Not sure if this satisfies …
Right click startup icon (rather than left click). This brings up short list of previously used sequences. Then left click sequence of your choice.

Mark