Direct Mount Guider slowing down autofocus

Dear forum members,

Today I started using SGP’s Direct Mount Guider for dithering my 10Micron GM3000 mount. I noticed that it is impossible to select the option “Pause guiding using autofocus”. As a result of this the Direct Mount Guider is settling in between each of the autofocus frames, even though no dithering is done. This makes the autofocusing routine consuming unnecessary time. As I have quite a heavy set-up I need 10 seconds settling time after slewing (empirically determined). Currently I have my autofocuser taking 11 frames, so that adds almost two minutes to the autofocusing routine.

Is there a way to switch off the settling time during autofocus?

thanks,
Nicolàs

This is weird behaviour because it should not dither between autofocus frames, it has certainly not done that for me on any of the 2 GM2000’s i control

Hi Xplode,

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify: there is no dithering done during autofocus, only the settling time is applied. This means that during autofocus the mount remains ‘stationary’, but in between images the message ‘settling for x seconds’ appears and counts down to zero. I take 3 second integrations, but these are now lengthened by the settling time, while there is no need to settle.

Nicolàs

There is a “Settle the auto guider before auto focus frames” option on the Auto Focus tab in the Control Panel.

If you disable this do you still see the long settle times?

Hi Steve,

thanks, found the option you mentioned and disabled it. Now I have to wait until our closest star sets so I can test it, hopefully later this evening.

Nicolàs

Hi Steve,

just tested your suggestion and it works, now there is no settling time during focusing, while dithering still works with it.

Thanks for your assistance!

Nicolàs

Happy that worked!