Do I need a wifi module between the IOS device and the PC

After reading the setup instructions and the questions on this forum, I’m still not sure of IOS device to PC physical requirements. Maybe for an update to the setup instructions, a diagram could be provided, showing typical end-to-end connectivity.
Thanks.

Fivel

Fivel,

First, tell me your hardware/software configuration and then we can go from there.

On the IOS side:

1. What iDevice (Phone/Pad/Pod) are you using?
  2. What version of IOS are you using?
  3. What is the app on the iDevice you are using?

On the PC side:

1. What OS are you using?
  2. What type of mount are you trying to control?
  3. What mount selection do you choose in WiFi Scope?

–Ernie

Your two devices need to be on the same network. This can mean different things:

1. ad hoc connection between the two devices
  2. PC acting as host and iPad connecting to host’s wifi
  3. Both devices connected to an access point

When you’re out in the field 1 is likely the best option. When you’re at home it’s likely 3. Although in Windows 10 it may just be easier to create a hotspot and have your iPad connect to that hotspot (this would be #2).

Thanks,
Jared

Hello Ernie, thanks for the reply.
Here is my setup:
IOS side

1. Iphone 5c and Ipad (quite old-won’t update to latest IOS)
  2. Iphone-11.2, Ipad pre version 10 (maybe 9.3?)
  3. SkySafari 5 Pro
    PC side
  4. Windows 10 Home
  5. Mountain Instruments MI-250 with Losmandy Gemini 2 controller
  6. I haven’t set it up yet but I will use the Gemini, if available or more generic protocol, Meade LX200
    NOTE: I got an email reply from Jared with the following suggestions:
    Your two devices need to be on the same network. This can mean different things:

ad hoc connection between the two devices
PC acting as host and iPad connecting to host’s wifi
Both devices connected to an access point
When you’re out in the field 1 is likely the best option. When you’re at home it’s likely 3. Although in Windows 10 it may just be easier to create a hotspot and have your iPad connect to that hotspot (this would be #2).

As to his suggestions, my equipment in in and observatory. For option# 3, if he means both devices connected to the same internet router (WIFI), that is a strong option.
Finally, I do not have either the Skywire or Skyfi module, so I hope option 3 is used in lieu of this items.

Regards.

Fred

Hello Jared and thanks for your reply.
I got a reply from Ernie and he asked about my equipment.
I sent him what he was asking. I hope you can check with him for my info.

As to your suggestions, my equipment in in and observatory. For option# 3, if you mean both devices connected to the same internet router (WIFI), that is a strong option. It will be determined by the strength of the WIFI signal form my office (about 400’ away).
If all else fails, I will buy another WIFI router and put it in the observatory.
Finally, I do not have either the Skywire or Skyfi module, so I hope option 3 is used in lieu of this items.

I will try that tomorrow and hope it allows me to use my iPhone or iPad to control my mount/controller.

Thanks for your info.

Regards.

Fred

Fred,
They don’t technically need to be connected to the same access point. They just need to be on the same network. I assume your observatory machine is connected via a cable? Sounds like your iPad might not have wifi out there. If that’s the case you’ll need an access point out in the observatory.

And no, you don’t need a SkyFi or similar device. That’s what WiFiScope does. Although one benefit of a SkyFi is that it will create it’s own wireless network and you just connect the iPad to that.

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks again Jared. I have some new issues.

1. I tried to register on the forum (WIFIscope) but it won’t accept my email address (same as here).
  2. The app won’t open properly. It has partial screen info but there is no “Settings” button, or “Listen” button and I cannot enter any Slew Speeds.
    I even moved the app folder to the root directory and created a shortcut on the desktop, as the forum suggested.
    And on more question. When asked for the "IP address to broadcast on” is that the PC address (ex. 192.168.0.100 that shows in the WIFIScope screen)?
    I tried that and cannot get SySafari to connect.
    Both SkySafari and the PC are connected to the same wifi router (testing the connections in my home office).

In your info here, you stated they need to be on the same network. Will it work as I mentioned above (both on the same wifi connection)?

Fred

mattyp, it has been over a year since I posted the question.
I have used Wifiscope without either a Skyfi (or any wifi module) or Skywire device.
I only need the app on a Windows machine, and the proper setup.
It works well enough withSkySafari to control my scope mount.

Fivel

mattyp is a spammer…and is gone.

Thanks,
Jared