DSO-Browser target import feature

Just played around with this, this morning on Ver 2.6.0.7. This is a great feature & works great. Thanks Ken, Jared & Seb…this will prove to be a winner!

That said, I am unable to import from DSO Browser to the Framing & Mosaic Wizard. has this yet to be fixed or is the problem on my side?

I agree Kinch,

Worked perfectly and it was great fun doing it.

Ref F & M wizard - This is a good point you make, importing the target(s) is one thing but framing it/them is another. The F & M could have a list created from the DSO list in a temp buffer, if it’s more than one target then the first could be loaded & produce the pic for framing, once this has been entered into the sequencer then F & M could auto restart & auto load the next targets image for framing etc etc.

That Would be a super extended feature !

Regards
Paul

Right… thanks for the reminder, it has not been implemented there, but will only take a few moments at this point.

Thanks Ken (Jared & Seb). Beta 2.6.0.8 works beautifully. I think (in relation to this and the planner importing from DSO Browser), I for one, will one day say…“how did I ever manage before I had this” :slight_smile:
Thanks to all for getting this together…I think it is a great feature.

Hello all,

Just installed .8 and cant seem to find a way of getting a DSO Browser object into the F & M wizard.

Used the ‘Import Targets->DSO Browser’ option but everything seems the same as before there, then tried F & M
itself, nothing new there either, tried the DSO Browser URL in the ‘Object’ box but just got the following Error:

Tried by right clicking the imported target in the sequencer but no sign of an option there to send target to the F & M for framing. Nothing extra in the manual yet ref DSO importing and the F & M.

Cant find - ‘•Added web-based location lookup services to MFW for DSO-Browser’ - anywhere, unless of course, it’s just the foundation and is not fully implimented yet.

:grin:

Regards
Paul

Hey Guy’s,

When Importing a DSO Browser list, we get the option box to Slew, Center or Slew and Center, Any chance of a further option at some point which asks us if we want to ‘Add’ the target(s) to the sequencer on their own clearing anything previously there or to ‘Append’ the targets to any existing targets which may already be in the sequencer just like the F & M wizard does ?

Just a thought, not asking for it right now gents.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

The F&M Wizard does not take lists as you have put in as per your screen shot. It will only take individual images that have been solved (i.e. those that have the sky maps with them on the DSO page). You can try any of your own…here is one that I know works: Elephant Trunk (IC 1396) - astrophotography by Kinch

When I did the F&M wizard I then added the new targets (say Target A frames 1, 2, 3 & 4) into the sequence in lieu of the original 1 x target A…if that makes sense.

Unfortunately it is not all automatic…yet :slight_smile:

Brendan.

Kinch,

That certainly is a beautiful image…My Compliments !

I see your point for sure but being limited like that only to certain images seems to go against the whole purpose of this feature, you should be able to frame every single object you choose to put in your list.

So here’s an optional method I’d like to put to you and Ken which will fully address this problem:

1. Create your list in DSO Browser as normal

2. Import the list via the URL from the File menu (Sequencer gets populated with the target/targets)

3. Right clicking the first target in the sequencer, have a new option in the list, something like ‘Frame’ for example

4. On selecting this ‘Frame’ option, the F & M wizard opens up and auto changes to the RA DEC option in the area ‘1’ at the top and automatically populates RA and DEC boxes with the coordinates imported for that target, even auto ‘Fetch’ at this point would be acceptable or just click ‘Fetch’.

5. Image of your object is fetched and appears on screen as normal at which point you frame and rotate until you get your chosen composition.

6. Once happy you will click ‘Create Sequence’ but instead of you getting the usual option box for appending, slewing, centring etc, it just modifies the targets RA, DEC and rotation so it is framed as you have chosen.

7. Job Done and works with any object you want from DSO Browser providing the RA & DEC is imported via the URL for your targets.

8. If you imported multiple targets then do the same to all the others too.

The only complication here if you originally imported ‘multiple targets’ from DSO Browser in the first place is if you decide you want to do a mosaic for the first target, if this is so and it happens to be a 4 pane mosaic then when modifying the RA, DEC and rotation for the target SGP could also insert/create 3 new Targets into the sequencer before your second imported DSO Browser target and name them in the usual way with ***-1, ***-2, ***-3 and ***-4 at the end of the target name.

Seems like a simple way to deal with this problem so all objects are catered for not just a few where certain information is available like your outstanding example Kinch.

Just an idea

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

What you suggest sounds great and no doubt it could work with other planners, not just DSO Browser. You probably should just move that post over to the Feature Requests section.
It is not for me to say, I really don’t know what is involved, but my guess is that Ken & Jared are probably up to their eyes working on the other items promised from that poll we had not too long ago. If / when they get around to that particular request it will be awesome. (With apologies to my wife who absolutely loathes that word ‘awesome’ :smiling_imp:)

In the meantime, doing it manually when planning for a night’s imaging, is no real hardship. :slight_smile:

Kinch,
I have moved it over to the Feature request forum which is probably the best bet.

I have to say that this is the very first time I have ever used any of SGP’s Target Import features, always felt somewhat cumbersome with Astro planner (the only one I have tried) probably due to not feeling comfortable with it’s interface rather than how it’s handled via SGP. I always used Stellarium pushed forward to the time I intended to image at and then a random choice of what’s up at the time and it’s height in the sky, I would then put the designation into the F & M, frame & rotate it if required and off I go.

DSO Browser actually felt very comfortable when I used it the first time, and, based on my particulars, I can see what’s up and when and at what height. The best part is the images of the objects are shown on the screen so I can instantly respond to the ones I am drawn to visually which is something you cant really get with Stellarium.

The one really important thing when picking a target from an image from something like Astrobin is people wont only be attracted by how the object looks but also how the image has been composed by the imager, your excellent image of the elephants trunk when fetched from the F & M actually appears around 90 degree’s off with the trunk coming from the right and extending to the left which looks completely weird, yes you can rotate the image in post but part of the best fun you can have with SGP is watching it rotate the camera for you so your composition is set when imaging begins etc.

Of course the guy’s are busy people and I defiantly wont be jumping up and down screaming for further enhancements to this import feature but not being able to frame and rotate an imported target feels like pie without custard LOLOLOL

I LIKE CUSTARD tee hee

Anyway, gonna shut up now

Clear Skies Kinch

Paul

Hi again Paul,

Thanks for your compliments on that image…one of my own favourites. I am sure Ken & Jared will look at your requested ‘upgrade’ to this great feature when they get the time.
Like you, I was (and still am just now) basically just a one target per night merchant…well for the most part anyway. Now with this new feature of pulling in a list from DSO Browser (which I like a lot also), I hope to make even better use of my time with the scope. I never had any other planner before this and I liked what I saw with DSOB from day one. SGP & DSOB working hand in hand is a great step forward …for me anyway.

With that…thanks again to Ken, Jared and Sebastián for making this happen.