EQMOD plate solving and meridian flip

Hi folks
Software been running fine until a few nights ago and started to play up on flipping and failing to solve the image afterwards. Having delved into the information I noticed that there are newer versions of EQMod available up to and including version 2.

Working on the basis that software should be kept up to date, and before I download it, will EQMod ver2 and SGPro be compatible?

Thanks for any advice

1 Like

I had problems a while back - Suddenly the flip wouldnā€™t work and the solve wouldnā€™t work properly so the sequence was aborted.

I solved this by dialling back to V128k of EQASCOM and itā€™s worked perfectly ever since. Someone on SGL forum had the same problemā€¦ went back to V128k and itā€™s all working fine again.

I think I have 128

Thereā€™s a number of 128 versionsā€¦ I tried a couple of them and only V128k worked for me.

Thanks Swag72

Is there anyone out there that has downloaded and used the latest EQMOD v 200q 2018.05.14, with SGPro?

I am using it. Mine did a flip this last weekend and it was fine.

I have an Orion Atlas and basically I had the physical problem of the mount was going to slam the camera into the tripod legsā€¦

I purchased the pier extension tube to bring the mount up higher from the tripod. I quit using mount limits in EQMOD and set SGP to flip 5 min past the meridian.

So prior to all that the mount would either hit the EQMOD limits and stop or it would flip but it wouldnā€™t flip quite far enough and I had to ā€œwait for the sky to move a bit moreā€.

Now with it able to go a little past the meridian I donā€™t have this ā€œdead spotā€ that the mount canā€™t point to anymore.

Hope that might help out. Otherwise Iā€™m not sure why mine would work other than I recently had other problems with EQMOD after the upgrade so instead I completely uninstalled and deleted all the files and installed a fresh copy and set it up again from scratch.

Thanks for feedback. Uninstalled the newer version of EQMod and installed v1.24k. Plate solve worked a treat as it had before. Didnā€™t get to a meridian flip as the clouds rolled in as it was about to happen, so that if for another night.

Only one failing, EQMOD dropped out once and I had to restart. Not sure why. I left CdC running in the background as other advice suggested that doing this would stop EQMod dropping out - but it didnā€™t!

I use EQMOD v2. Only done 3 or 4 meridian flips so far but didnā€™t have any issue with them.

Not out of the wood yet.
Ran the set up again last night. Went to the 1st target to the East. Plate solved the target with no problems, within 0.5 degree rotation and 10 pixels. Took images for 2 hours. Sent the scope to the next target, passing the meridian. Plate solve went into its routine, solved an image to get its position, solved a second and third time with no issue to bring the target to within 40 or so pixels, (my target is set at 10 pixels and has never been a problem) and the fourth solve failed to find a match within the 300 regions it then went to blind solve and failed to solve the image within the 10 pixels.
Restarted plate solve and it went through the same process, but solved the image this time when it dropped through to blind solve.

Not sure what is going on now, plate solved has worked well over several months without issue and now it keeps failing.
Any further suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

Using 2.00q EQMOD with no issues (plate solving or meridian flips) - for the most part. This is with an EQ8.

My past experiences with EQMOD dropping out was due to usb communications (bad cable, unpowered usb hub, ā€˜crappyā€™ usb hub).

Having trouble converging on target with plate solve could be due to EQMOD/SGP settings. Search for past posts on that (not everyone has had same experience). My current settings are EQMOD (Dialogue based, No point in alignment model) and SGP (Telescope Sync Behaviour=Sync). Within 10 pixels seems aggressive but I guess that depends on the mount! Iā€™m currently using 50.

DaveNL

Thanks Dave, I will take into account your settings and maybe install the latter version of EQMod, I am running the AZEQ 6 mount is 50 pixels OK? . I will give it a further run out (check connections) before changing and report back.

Iā€™m also using 200q with no issues with flips or plate-solves - AZ-EQ6

thanks Daz i will install the 200q version

Daz/Dave What is your EQMOD ASCOM Set up ā€œside of pierā€ setting?

Mine is set as ā€œPointing (ASCOM)ā€

DaveNL

Thanks Dave much appreciated. Now for some clear skies!!!

Morning guys
Me again. Installed v 200q and set everything (I think) as per the recommended setting. Early this morning after the sky cleared I sent the scope across the meridian to the Crescent Nebula. Plate solving started and failed to solve after 300 settings it then dropped through to blind solving and eventually came up with an Auto Center Error ā€œCannot rotate camera because the rotator has not been synced with the actual sky angle. Run solve and sync and try againā€. I aborted the sequence.

Reset the sequence and changed the side of pier to v 1.24q (not sure why). Same result as above.

Reset the sequence and reset to Pointing (ASCOM). Same result as above.

Reset the sequence and set the ASCOM option to Strict Compliance (not sure why). Plate solving started and it run through 3 re-positions until it got about 35 pixels away and then failed. Went to blind solve scope re-positioned slightly and normal plate solve re-started, went through 300 plates and failed again, dropped through to blind solve and solved the image.

Rest of the night was spent taking images.

Real mystery having had no problem for months and now, there are issues every time I am past the Meridian. Last night there was no meridian flip, I went straight to the target.

Any feedback welcome, thanks

By way of an update. Decided to remove all versions of EQMOD on the laptop and install v1.29a, re-input all EQMOD settings. Ran the set up last night with the target East of the Meridian. Plate solved the image fine and the rig proceeded to take images. Set the meridian flip for 2 degrees past, when it got there the ā€œMeridian Flipā€ page opened to solve the image before flipping. The Plate solve failed to find a match, went to Blind Solve and solved the image. The Mount flipped and proceeded to Plate solve the image (without failing and going to Blind solve)

I take this as a success and hope it continues to behave next time out. Thanks for all you inputs.

1 Like

Plate solving now behaving itself again including 2 meridian flips, thanks goodness.

Hi alcol
Sorry for the delay in replyingā€¦
Interesting to read of your dilemma, and sorry to read, of course!

I was imaging part of M31 earlier this week, flipped and solved with no apparent issues - by that I mean, I had images both before and after the flipā€¦

I have not looked at the log file, but as it looks like my part of the UK will be catching up on the lack of rain over the weekend, seems like an opportunity to do just that!

Iā€™ll report findingsā€¦