Erroneous meridian flip with 10Micron mount

If I slew to a target well past the meridian (like 3 hours past) SGP checks before starting to capture images with the mount and thinks it needs to do a flip (which it doesn’t). Naturally the flip then fails. It seems to be a side-of-pier issue?

SGP meridian flip settings are:
Minutes past meridian flip -5
Wait for meridian
Auto center after meridian

The 10Micron settings are:
Flip slew tol 03 degrees
Flip guide tol 05 degrees
Meridian side: BOTH

If you want to be able to slew to a target 3 hours past meridian then shouldn’t that “Minutes past meridian” setting be set to something like 180 or 240 and not 5? (i.e. X hours past meridian * 60)

BTW: I’ve no idea what the correct 10Micron settings should be or whether it is advisable to go 3+ hours past the meridian with your set-up…

My understanding that -5 minutes past the meridian is the setting for when the meridian flip should occur, i.e. the flip occurs 5 minutes before reaching the meridian. It has no bearing on when a slew can occur.

Peter,

this is exactly right.

For that to work, the ASCOM driver for your mount must be able to set the SideOfPier property. This is an optional function; some drivers implement it, others do not.

This part of your post, I do not understand. Why do you think SGP thinks it needs to do a flip?

Kind regards,
Horia

Hi Horia, it thinks it needs to do a flip because it attempts to do one!

I’ve just done a test with an older version of the 10Micron driver and the problem seems to be fixed.

Hi Peter,

There is no entry in the log file you uploaded showing the “urge” to do a meridian flip. Actually, in the setup of the sequence there is a line saying:

Was that the wrong log file?

Kind regards,
Horia

www.mainsequencesoftware.com