Fetching Images through Framing & Mosaik Wizard does not work

Hello all,

I am not able to fetch any reference image through the Framing & Mosaik Wizard. Independent of the object I am searching for I get the following image:

I have the latest version installed SGPro (2.6.0.25) and a stable internet connection. The wizard used to work normally but for some reason it stopped. Bug? Am I doing something wrong? I tried different FOVs and the cache is empty.

Help and/or suggestions highly appreciated…

Best regards,
Chris

Pretty obvious, the camera has some sort of error and is sending an image with the word ERROR. This is nothing to do with SGP.

I don’t think so. What has the camera to do with the image fetching procedure of the Framing & Mosaik Wizard? SGP does not request any images from the camera within this module. This issue must be related to the SGP internal procedure of providing the images and the astrometric data connected to it once you type in an object.

Once back this procedure was working the images have obviously been downloaded from somewhere. I don’t know how SGP has been doing that, but the way it used to work is not working anymore. My cameras are up and running without any problems, and as far as I know there is no option anywhere telling the Framing & Mosaik wizard to source the images from the camera instead of downloading them from a specific place.

Interesting is that I did a new installation of SGP on a different machine in trial mode. Working on that one without any problem. So, I’m really confused because I don’t know what the problem could be now. Obviously it is the machine in the observatory which has an issue. How could this be camera related?

Is there any option within SGP to check, if the required connection to the required service is working?

Ok, another hint. Did some investigation. I know in the meantime, that SGP fetches the images from DSS database. I cleared the cache and did a test on M42. This is what SGP fetches on the machine with a trial version running:

So there is the fits file showing M42. All fine.

I did a complete reinstall of SGP on the machine in the observatory. Deleted everything including all settings and profiles. Completely fresh installation of SGP 3.0.0.3. So, here the folder looks like this:

Its the same version, the same object, but for any reason I don’t understand the fits file downloaded from DSS has just 17 KB and shows this weird ERROR picture with the asian letters on it.

ANY SUGGESTION?

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT: I tried to download an image manually from DSS. Worked perfectly, so thing is: SGP is not able to fetch the image from DSS, which I need to get fixed.

I misunderstood, thought it was a camera image.

The same answer applies, the 17KB fits file from DSS contains the ERROR message as an image. The server of the DSS image is using this as a way to signal there is a problem but doesn’t say what the problem is. Maybe there will be more information in the fits header.

I’ve just tried this with SGP 3.0.0.4 and there’s no problem.

One thing to try is to change your setup so the decimal character is a full stop instead of a comma. It’s possible that SGP is sending the data using your local decimal separator and this is confusing the DSS server which is expecting a full stop.

OOMMGG that was it!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?? SHAME ON ME :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thought about it as well, but didn’t give it a try because I never changed this in the past, and on my other machine same settings. Honestly, I don’t have ANY clue when or how this setting might have changed in the past.

Anyway, SOLVED. Thanks a lot!! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris (www.sternwarte-stattegg.at)

I’ve been burnt by this so many times that it’s not difficult to spot it, every time someone isn’t using the full stop as the decimal point.

It needs fixing in SGP but now we know what the problem is that is easy.