Filter positioning after meridian flip

Hi,

I was using SGPro without issue for the past 1.5 yrs. 2 days ago, I upgraded to ASCOM 6.4SP1 ( was installing pempro v3 trial ). Then last night something strange happened. I did a meridian flip / lum filter while doing H-alpha sequence. After the flip, the captured frames were in lum ( as 2 of them appeared to be way brighter than before the flip ). I manually abort, set the filter to lum, then restart the seq. again, and all is good.

I later found out that my R/G/B were all messed up for the night before, as some of the “green” frames is showing what should be in the red as I was doing the Bubble nebula. As a result, the combined stacked color is way off.

Equipment: QHY filter wheel / ASCOM QHY driver 0.1.10.3

I am not sure if it is ASCOM problem or SGPro problem.

THanks,

Edmond

Can you upload the sequence and the log?

Thanks,
Jared

Please see the attached log files. The one started on 2018-10-17 definitely had a Lum->Ha issue.

The one on 2018-10-16 is not sure about it as I only find out when I check my frames.

Thanks.
sg_logfiles.zip (399.7 KB)

Edmond

I rolled back to ASCOM 6.3. It seems to be working for me now. Before that all the R/G/B rotating events were in a mess, blue data set has green and red data. The whole thing became a non-deterministic automata.

Still testing on the roll back, but so far so good.

Edmond

Did you by any chance check the ASCOM filter assignments and the SGP control panel filter details - I just wonder if they somehow were corrupted by the change in ASCOM platform.

I checked. There is nothing extra-ordinary.

I am doing a run on filter rotation on a dark frame sequence. See if I can catch similar issue in ASCOM 63. If so, then may be it is something else. As of now, this test produces consistent/correct result (ie, filter name corresponds to the filter color I am seeing are the same ).

Fingers crossed.

Edmond

Sorry if this resurrects too much of an old thread but this happened to me last night. After the meridian flip SGP tried to set the O3 filter (as was set before the flip) but did a sequence of Lum (or similar broadband filter) shots, each shot (weirdly) instigating an autofocus routine. Whatever the filter was (Lum or otherwise) the image was clearly not taken with an O3 filter, despite the O3 filter indication in the file name of each shot. I manually stopped the autofocus and the sequence resumed taking the O3 shots without issue? Will see if I can hunt down the logs, but if there was an easy fix I’d love to know. Is it related to ASCOM or perhaps autofocus or jammed filters? Cheers.

Hopefully a link to the relevant log:

Looks like your filterwheel threw an error when we asked it for the position after setting the OIII filter. It is unclear as to whether it successfully set the filter or not (guessing not).

We expect this to return a -1 while the filter wheel is moving.

It seems this is an error with the ASCOM driver or something happened at a lower level than that. From the logs I can’t tell as the error is only propagated in SGP and we don’t have the “whole story.”

Thanks,
Jared

Thanks for the reply Jared. I’m thinking the cable connecting the filter wheel to the camera got knocked in the flip. Anyway something to watch for time :slight_smile: