Filter wheel connects but no response

I recently switched to a new pc in my observatory, and installed the latest version of SGP. Now when connecting equipment the CFW shows as connected and says “moving”, but it isn’t. My camera is SBIG STL11000 with built-in 5-filter wheel. Since the filter wheel isn’t awake I can’t run a sequence.

In MaximDL the CFW connects AND responds.

To create a log file for you, I went only as far as connecting the camera and wheel. I note the last entry in the log file says the wheel is busy.

After my installation didn’t work, I uninstalled it and fell back to the earlier version available on the download page. Same error with the older version. This log file is from the older version.

Thanks,

Bill

Let me gues… its an EFW2.

Try this. If it connects but says ‘moving’ forever. Disconnect it in SGP then power cycle it (un plug the power for a few seconds) then try re-connecting.

My EFW2 is a little squirelly like that.

This happens with my EFW2 as well. This has been a long running problem for years. The basic problem is a USB connection issue. I always have to power cycle the EFW2 before it will connect. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

No, this filter wheel is integrated into the camera. I can try power cycling the whole package. I did try unplugging the usb cable but no joy.

Bill - are you connecting in both cases with an ASCOM driver (MDL and SGP), or with a dedicated interface by each? If it is ASCOM in both cases, it should be possible to resolve this, since MDL has it fixed (which is better than it managed with my SX filter wheels!)

My knowledge of drivers is sketchy, but I don’t think there is an ASCOM driver for my camera: STL 11000. So I use the drivers as downloaded using the Drver Checker from SBIG.

Well, if that is the case, it is down to the implementation of the device drivers.

Just a thought… Did you try Auto Detect in the FW settings?

Yes, and Auto Detect fixed it! I wrote a forum post to that effect, but apparently it didn’t show up.

Bill

there is another link here that is relevant:

seems that Ken and Jared had to write their own driver in the early days of SGP but with the firmware changes in the STL11000, they were concerned that it may need updating - it needs further research and input from other users.

Buzz: thanks for that link. I don’t use the internal guide chip on my STL, but stick to a guide scope while imaging with a wide-field refractor. Or use a separate OAG device at longer FLs.